"Graff" style cider on Oatmeal Stout trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdexclpl

Reaction score
I'm bottling my oatmeal stout this weekend and I thought I would try something different. I'm going to leave a little of the stout with the trub in the carboy and put a fresh batch of my "graff" on it to ferment. I think it will be good but ya never know!
I was just wondering if anyone has tried something similar. Good, bad, indifferent? What do you think?

Sounds good to me. I am using some trub from a cocoa mead I made to ferment a cider with. Be careful, it bubbles like crazy. If you're making a graff be prepared for an ultra-high krausen.

This will be my second batch of graff. The first had a good krausen and it stayed high for quite a while. I'll be bottling that one next weekend, I hope!

How did it turn out? I saw this and thought I would do the same by puting a graff on a pumpkin ale trub. Did you pitch with the graff of was the yeast in the trub enough for the graff?

So did you add more beer wort or just mix in the cider with a gallon or so of leftover oatmeal stout?

Thanks to Brewing TV this is going to be my next brew. Going with two gallons of Stout to mix with three gallons of the cider. Maybe going to do a stove top BIAB, maybe later today

I saw the same episode, the Gunslinger Graff looks amazing!

That's the recipe I ended up going with. I had a little extra base malt laying around so I upped the gravity a tad but otherwise left it the same. Got it sitting in the bag on the stove top now, about 30 minutes into the mash.

I used a spiced version of Brandon O's on my first go and than the regular version for a full batch

Back