10k USD to start a home brewing business. Possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetAmmonia

Reaction score
Salutations,

I was wondering if ten thousand dollars would be enough money to start a small home brewing business. I'd need to cover legal and equipment in Portland, OR. I've read that Dogfish Head started with just a ten gallon home brewing system. Thanks in advance for you time and advice. Also, I might be interested in teaming up if anybody is local.

Add a zero to the end of that 10K and you'll be about 20% of the way there!

You'll need to cover a building as well, unless you have one. Part of being a licensed brewery is not doing it in your home. At least that is my understanding.

Based on what i've heard from other breweries, you need to build a start-up brewery with at least 10-15 BBL of production capacity minimum if you want to be successful. This will cost you several hundred thousand dollars. Plus you're starting up in Portland, OR---the microbrewing capital of the world.

While there may be successful breweries at the nano/pico level, your chances of success are very slim.

Check out this article by soundbrew.com. They are a brewing equipment supplier. http://www.soundbrew.com/small.html

You need investors and or a business loan to make your brewery become a reality. Start with a good business plan and a line of recipes that have won some awards.

It can be done. Check out this thread...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/things-i-learned-going-home-nanobrewer-137210/ However you have to have the right zoning so you don't have to lease a building. I have been following him for a few years now. It sounds like he covers his costs and even makes a few bucks but that is about it. I believe he is an attorney and the brewery was started as part of his MBA project? Honestly though it is probably cheaper in the short term to just give away your beer BUT sell brewery merchandise (shirts, caps, stickers, etc....) I have been pretty successful doing this!! It covers most of my brewing costs, gets people to try my beer, and best yet is that I get free publicity when people wear my logo around town. I am still years away from opening but I am building a customer base.

make your best and then find investors.....there are two new micros near me and the beer they produce is rancid #@$$#$5!!!!!! They wont be around long.....it takes more than $......Oh yeah and this place charges $7 a bottle for a beer that tastes worse than beers I have made that I wont let anyone else try. The being said- I think that starting is expensive-the 10K should allow for the equipment to produce enough and consistent results to take you to the next level. If you are serious-Good Lucl

Short answer no
Could you "start" towards one yes but you will quickly need a lot more capital.

Having a property in Oregon zoned right and isn't connect to a house will cut down costs. Starting the company is $100 depending what you form. You could get a system for under 10k but then everything else needed to be successful would pass 10k pretty quick. Despite the 250k being the normal. You could do it for under 100k and depending on how quickly you realize you want to transition from nano, add anywhere from 50k - 100k more for the upgrade.

I'd like to start off by maybe just trying to get a few of my kegs into local pubs. I was thinking about adapting my 3 car garage that is extremely clean into where I brew. I have no plans to get a separate building if I can find a way around it. I just want to start very small and simple. Maybe if things pick up and my brews are well received I'd like to do something like Captured by Porches, which is a brewery food cart here in PDX. http://capturedbyporches.com/

"A 3 or 4 barrel microbrewery (wholesale production) is doomed to either fail, or enslave its operator with interminable hours and little compensation until he can upgrade his equipment to a large enough system to become profitable on. In many instances the venture self destructs and visits financial ruin upon the owner."

Not looking good. :(

$250,000 seems to be a minimum number that gets thrown around here to start a brewery.

Can you clarify what you mean by home brewery?

I was just thinking about kegging and hustling my brews to local pubs. Just a really small operation. From what I've been reading here this might not even be profitable.

Mongrel said:
In Oregon, he can do it in his basement. He'll just have to give TTB/OLCC 24 hour access to it.

Interesting.... I don't know if that's a worthwhile tradeoff or not, but interesting option!

Check out Below Grade Brewing in Bend. The guy started amazingly small, brews in his basement, and sold all his initial beers at local farmer's markets with $15 day permits from the OLCC. You'll probably have to keep the day job, but you can start small. I don't think he even has a website yet, he was still just using his facebook page last time I searched for a site. (ok, still no site)

According to this, he had to only allow access to the basement brewery from an outside door. So, there might be some additional home improvements involved.

I think it ultimately comes down to what your goals are for having a brewery. Do you want a career change or just take brewing to another level. This article deals with "nano" winemakers but I think it has a lot of relevance for us brewers.http://ventanamonthly.com/article.php?id=668&IssueNum=74 I think they are on the right track!! They are starting small vineyards not to make money but rather because they love it!! Some readily admit that they will never be profitable and they are ok with that. I see operating a nanobrewery the same way..if you aren't doing it out of love why are you doing it at all?

According to this, he had to only allow access to the basement brewery from an outside door. So, there might be some additional home improvements involved.

Ah, so that might be the key to the basement thing. Its in the same building, but is essentially completely isolated from the residence.

Subd I'm looking into it also but in ny. I found a building for $10,000 rent for the yr ($833 mo). I figured start with either 1bbl or if I can get money 3.5 bbl. Brew like 5-7 times a week. If its 1bbl n I sell 750ml bottles . U get about 165 bottles from 1bbl. Most places sell that size beer around here from $7-10 ea. So let's say I sell for $5 ea. 165 x $5. $825 for that 1bbl batch. Minus cost. I would say around $325 at most. So a profit of around $500x5(times a week) is $2500 week x4 weeks is $10,000 mo. I'm sure u can still make a decent profit out of that after all cost. Am I right?

Subd I'm looking into it also but in ny. I found a building for $10,000 rent for the yr ($833 mo). I figured start with either 1bbl or if I can get money 3.5 bbl. Brew like 5-7 times a week. If its 1bbl n I sell 750ml bottles . U get about 165 bottles from 1bbl. Most places sell that size beer around here from $7-10 ea. So let's say I sell for $5 ea. 165 x $5. $825 for that 1bbl batch. Minus cost. I would say around $325 at most. So a profit of around $500x5(times a week) is $2500 week x4 weeks is $10,000 mo. I'm sure u can still make a decent profit out of that after all cost. Am I right?

Read Sam Calagione's Book, "Brewing Up a Business". You're missing the part where the distributor takes his piece, and the retailer takes their piece. Unless you're going to self-distribute. And beer doesn't sell itself. The beer business is extremely low margin. This means you need volume to turn a profit.

This is so stunningly oversimplified that it's sort of cute, right down to the use of "u" instead of "you".

You most totally can if you contract brew! Thats what I am doing. I am working on the brand, but its only 6k for me to get my first batch of beer brewed and packaged.
I figure if the beer does well, I will add a couple and build by brewery with an established market. If not, I spent some hobby money.

You most totally can if you contract brew! Thats what I am doing. I am working on the brand, but its only 6k for me to get my first batch of beer brewed and packaged.
I figure if the beer does well, I will add a couple and build by brewery with an established market. If not, I spent some hobby money.

Does that include your licenses, taxes and approval for labels?

Check out Below Grade Brewing in Bend. The guy started amazingly small, brews in his basement, and sold all his initial beers at local farmer's markets with $15 day permits from the OLCC. You'll probably have to keep the day job, but you can start small. I don't think he even has a website yet, he was still just using his facebook page last time I searched for a site. (ok, still no site)

I contacted Dean the other day. He has been super accommodating to my questions about the brewing business. Thanks for the source.

omokoro said:
Read Sam Calagione's Book, "Brewing Up a Business". You're missing the part where the distributor takes his piece, and the retailer takes their piece. Unless you're going to self-distribute. And beer doesn't sell itself. The beer business is extremely low margin. This means you need volume to turn a profit.

I also recommend this book. Sam was brewing two (or was it 3?) times a day on his 10 gallon system.

The brew magic system that Sam got started on is now ($7,000 + with shipping.) He said he had to turn out three batches a day, so you're looking at $200+ a day in just your base cost, doesn't include rent, insurance, lost beer due to infection… etc…
Working on such a small scale would require you to have a bunch of smaller fermentation vessels for each batch that you’ll do. You’ll need kegs, kegs washers, bottling equipment, fermentation temp control. The list just goes on and on.

I think dogfish already had a very rich family and had a lot of help to get his brewery off of the ground. It's not as easy to get a loan like it was back then.

Sabco does make a 2 bbl system but it will cost a lot more than 10k.
https://brewmagic.com/blog/nano-magic-by-sabco-2-bbl-rims-brewhouse

I guess I can see how you get $10k into a batch or two of a contract brew but I don't see how you reach sustainability with that model, let alone profitability. Sure, you can get the beer packaged but then what? It seems much harder to get accounts with bars or bottle shops if you only have one or two runs of your beer than a stable brewery or at least stable output. If you burn through your cash then you have to sell enough beer to have the money to start another batch and then wait for that to make it's way back to you. This is impossible in a state like Texas where the tiered distribution system controls but it also seems challenging in a state that allows you to self-distribute or at least distribute direct to retailers.

I hear that there are some breweries that produce beer entirely by contract and have no physical location, so it is a feasible model.

I guess I can see how you get $10k into a batch or two of a contract brew but I don't see how you reach sustainability with that model, let alone profitability. Sure, you can get the beer packaged but then what? It seems much harder to get accounts with bars or bottle shops if you only have one or two runs of your beer than a stable brewery or at least stable output. If you burn through your cash then you have to sell enough beer to have the money to start another batch and then wait for that to make it's way back to you. This is impossible in a state like Texas where the tiered distribution system controls but it also seems challenging in a state that allows you to self-distribute or at least distribute direct to retailers.

I hear that there are some breweries that produce beer entirely by contract and have no physical location, so it is a feasible model.

Here in MN we can self distribute. I have 3 bars that will have kegged beer and the rest will be sold regionally, (all within MN) currently. The money from the first batch will finance the 3rd batch, so there will be a little more than 10k invested for the first month or two, but that will taper off if sales go well.

I am just doing it the opposite direction that most do it, where they start with brick and mortar then try and get their brand established. I will go the brick and mortar when it becomes feasible.

I believe that NYS requires a distributor, and that cuts into the profit.:mug:

PIGMAN said:
I believe that NYS requires a distributor, and that cuts into the profit.:mug:

Yes but that's why I said sell for $5 a bottle. There is still $2-5 more profit they can make on each bottle.

I'm putting together a business plan of my own for a microbrewery here in North Carolina and $10,000 is not even close to covering costs. You need to factor in construction costs (drains, venting, electrical work), permitting, zoning, and licensing before you can even think about the production side. A 1 BBL or 2 BBL system might seem large to a homebrewer but on the production side it's tiny. Sure you could brew 3 times a day 7 days a week, but when are you going to be package, selling, and distributing your beer? If you are successful, how are you going to handle increased demand? You can't add more hours to the day....

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but if you are going to do this seriously (and you want serious answers) then you need to do a business plan. Or at least start one and see where it takes you.

Unbelievable. Are you really debating if he's a jerk on the internet? Grow up. It's the internet. If your feelings are hurt, well, I don't know what to say. I'm sorry. It's the internet.

Oh, and I'm a banker, and spelling does matter. And use at least a 50% discount rate on cash flows...tell me if you're profitable now. Only way to make it work is equity. You're operationally leveraged out the wazoo, so financial leverage is disaster, IMHO.

EDIT: Denny's link is a must read. If you enjoy it, go for it. If you're doing it as an investment...might think twice.

I think you can for close to $10,000.
You can get most of the equipment for around $3000 that's your new stand,pots,pumps,etc. You could get some plastic fermenters for around $200 ea. So maybe another $1500 for around 7 fermenters. RSent for a place (I found a place for $833 mo) not permits. Ttb cost $0 just have to get a brewers bond. Now ny state the annual fees cost less then $1000 for everything u need. And to start a corp around $300. So that's around $6600 and u have about $3400 left for odds and ends n unexpected stuff. So I think if u put the work into making the stand n putting everything together yourself u can save a ton of money.

Back