leak: black ball lock quick disconnect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtian

Reaction score
I put a new beer on tap and the quick disconnect started to leak around the top, so i put it on another line, same thing, and tried to others and had the same leak. what does this mean? i'm not sure how all those quick disconnects could go bad at the same time. maybe the pressure in the keg was too high? but I bled it and it didn't seem so bad. you guys have any ideas?

There is (should be) a screw to take out the inner pin/spring to clean. Inside there is a small O ring, make sure that isn't broke. IF the ring is good make sure that top screw is tight.

unfortunately the O ring was intact and I put it back together tight and still it leaks out the head. does it leak if there is too much pressure in the keg? doesn't seem to high but i can't figure this out. i'll try putting on a different keg and see if i have the same problem.

Same thing happened to me, and I lost 4 gallons of braggot into the bottom of my keezer. Talk about a heartbreak, and a huge mess to clean up!

Not sure what happened, but if I put that disconnect on a keg, beer pours out like crazy.

Must be a defective batch of QD's. I've never had one leak from the top. You could try wrapping a bit of Teflon tape around the threads.

Must be a defective batch of QD's. I've never had one leak from the top. You could try wrapping a bit of Teflon tape around the threads.

Mine was fine for several months before this horrible incident.

If you are you talking about the "black ball lock quick disconnect", Have you checked the poppet?

I'd double check that they are using the correct o-ring or gasket. Might be a bit of a mix up in the China parts factory or skimping on the rubber.

You can buy a new one for $8 or less. You should try that.

That's the plan, but I'm gun shy to leave everything hooked up all the time in my keezer. Losing a whole batch of some ass kicking braggott made with fresh local clover honey sucks balls!

unfortunately, at least on mine, it isn't the quick disconnect. I've tried the keg on four QD's and it leaks out of the head of all four. but when I switch it out onto another keg, it doesn't leak. has something to do with the ball lock on the keg, the the quick disconnect that is making it leak out the side. Weird thing is, when it isn't connected to the QD the keg does not leak. I'll have to transfer the beer then check the ball lock.

unfortunately, at least on mine, it isn't the quick disconnect. I've tried the keg on four QD's and it leaks out of the head of all four. but when I switch it out onto another keg, it doesn't leak. has something to do with the ball lock on the keg, the the quick disconnect that is making it leak out the side. Weird thing is, when it isn't connected to the QD the keg does not leak. I'll have to transfer the beer then check the ball lock.

Leave the beer in, remove the post, check the poppit. That is far more likely to fail than the steel post. The poppit could have failed or could be seated improperly.

just had the same problem. Was great for a while and then all of a sudden I have half a keg sitting on the floor of my keezer. I bought about 6 of these recently so I hope it's not a "batch" problem...

I don't believe it's the post. The keg holds pressure just fine without the disconnect attached (no leaks). When I attach the disconnect and assembled tubing with picnic tap to any keg it comes right out of the picnic tap. I have also replaced the picnic tap as well (that was the first thing I tried). Other disconnects appear to work fine. The good news is that I was seriously considering dumping the beer anyway (my first beer dumping!).

Check the o-ring on the post, its probably broken.

this. the o ring on the post might be too small or torn. if i am understanding you correctly, the beer comes out between the post and the disconnect, right?

i lost a keg in my keezer because the wrong o rings were sent with my kegs.

Did you ever figure out the problem? I'm having this same problem but I'm thinking it may be the o ring. The one that's leaking is blue and the rest are black

I've had similar problems with my taps.

For what it's worth, I read somewhere that the pressure for picnic type taps shouldn't be more than 5 or 6 PSI. I run my kegs at 10 PSI. Could be a contributing factor.

Back