the use of oak cubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potzertommy

Reaction score
I was reading some info on a beer I would like to try, and one user suggested that you "steam a small amount of oak cubes with tequila and add them after ferm stops."

What goes into doing that. How do i steam something w/ tequila?

Never heard of steaming with tequila.

I've soaked oak cubes in wine, scotch, bourbon, etc. depending on the style of beer I'm oaking prior to pitching in secondary to both sanitize and impart the flavor of the soaking liquid to the cubes.

If you wish to just impart the oak flavor, it is very simple to sanitize by just steaming with water for 10-15 minutes prior to pitching.

you are gonna lose a lot of flavor by steaming them. I usually put them in a cup or something and pour on some 160*F water, let it sit a few minutes, then dump the whole thing in the secondary.

What would be wrong with boiling the cubes to sanitize them and then put them in the liquor (bourbon/whiskey) for a couple days? Nothing bad can live in the bourbon, right?

Back