Control Panel Build/ Rig upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P-J,
I brewed last weekend and everything turned out awesome. Thanks for all the help. I do have a question though. Just for giggles I hit the E-stop and nothing happened. The wiring is pretty straight forward so I don't think I screwed it up. Is there something I should be looking for?

Again, the brew day went exceptionally well.
I think that you either did not have GFCI protection in place or it was not wired correctly to function properly.

P-J

I had it plugged into an extension cord that was plugged into the GFCI. I will verify the wiring tomorrow.

Great thread, de3isit. P-J is a rock star, no? I'm not far from you in Encinitas and would love to check out your system some time. I built my own version and tried it out this weekend. I had issues with my gas burners. Still on Hi-pressure LP as I'm not ready to go all auto just yet. Where did you get the power switches for your pumps? I've begun the control box and haven't found appropriate switches yet. I like the colors and lights to differentiate. The box I bought is 4" deep. Will that be able to accommodate the PIDs and switches? Brew more, tinker less....Thanks for the help.

Brew Stand 1.jpg

Thanks. I got most of the components from EBrew Supply. The only complaint with them is that they aren't very bright on a sunny day. I brewed last night and they were awesome!
night brew rig.jpg

I think you will need to get a deeper box as the PID's are about 3.75" deep.
Let me know if you are going to be in the area.

This may be a stupid question but what program do you use to make the wiring diagram?

so do your lights come on when the burners cut on? switch cuts light on when it fires up gas valve? Also, you push the button for pumps causing pump and light to come on? Please excuse my ignorance! I am finally automating my single tier and I'm not very good at reading wiring diagrams. Thanks for any input!

so do your lights come on when the burners cut on? switch cuts light on when it fires up gas valve? Also, you push the button for pumps causing pump and light to come on? Please excuse my ignorance! I am finally automating my single tier and I'm not very good at reading wiring diagrams. Thanks for any input!

When the burners are on the lights are on. Any light that comes on means power is being delivered to it. P-J's schematic was invaluable in this project. I couldn't be happier in the results. Now I need to upgrade my kettles. Soo tire of boil overs!

Hi Guys - P-J

I believe i have a similar need for an extra set of eyes to look at and help with my wiring (SYL2362 and JSL-73, along with Honeywell furnace valves, and a RIMS tube. I have been working on a single tier propane system with a RIMS tube.

any help with the wiring is appreciated!

Prost!

IMG_4637.jpg

flb_wire.jpg

What type of clamp did you use for mounting the gas line to your frame? I'm using U-Bolts now and I am looking for something cleaner (I first looked at conduit hangers with the single mounting hole - Thanks!

Found the oth post you had on your build - and you found the clamps at Lowes (Need to look for those!)

For PJ or anyone - I have the same set up here; I too started with going all direct fire BG14 burners then added the RIMS for better control.

I have been trying to add in the safety of a few items which I would love to see how these would be implemented into your design/schematic here.

ITEMS:
BK PID Auber SYL-2362
MLT PID Auber SYL-2362
HLT PID Auber SYL-2362
Timer PID Auber JSL-73B
RIMS: Electronic SSR and the tube from Bobby M
Furnace control valves: Honeywell (same as here)

For Safety i am looking to add in from Kal:
Safe Start interlock relay
power in relay (Mechanical for the 'sound')
keyed power switch

I have the emergency power push shut down - may or may not install

I am looking to achieve:
when the Control Panel receives power that the power relays/wiring will not provide power until all of the switches are in the 'off' position to provide a extra layer of safety for mostly the pumps to not run dry. I presently have three pumps (building to more automation) and the RIMS i dont want running 'dry'

THANKS for your support!!
--Bryan

I'm looking into possibly welding a new rig. Yours looks really nice. Do you have additional pictures and/or drawings?

It's been a long time and a ton of brews. Finally got a new rig and pots. Totally awesome! Donated my old rig to a fellow brew in my local club.

New Rig3.jpg

Back