Need advice on removing smell from plastic container.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A buddy gave me two 1.5 gallon plastic containers that were used to store some type of protein powder. I am thinking of trying to turn these into 1 gallon fermenters for some experimental batches but I am unsure of how to remove the protein powder smell.

Any ideas?

I have soaked overnight in Oxyclean and I have heard of using baking soda.

Or, clean well, sanitize, ferment a beer in them, then they will smell like beer.

There are some things you just cannot get out of plastic if its permeated the plastic. I would try a good hot soak in PBW. If that doesn't do it, they are probably a lost cause to get the smell out. I have tried to get the soda smell out of a 12 gallon plastic carboy/jug and never could. I tried EVERYTHIG from baking soda to PBW to Star San to just plain ol' dish soap. I even did an Oxyclean soak for 4 days and it just wouldn't come out. I cut the top off if it and use it for trash in the brewery.

Cheers
Jay

I read somewhere that sunlight removes odors from spaghetti sauce jar lids, and that has worked for me. As far as your problem goes, I couldn't say it would work but might be worth a shot.

Leave them open out in the direct sun all day, it worked for the 15 gallon plastic conical I have.

Leave them open out in the direct sun all day, it worked for the 15 gallon plastic conical I have.

Problem is that the opening at the top is much smaller than the diameter of the of the container. It is opaque so I am so I don't think much sunlight will be able to get into this. However, I will keep this in mind for future use.

Thanks.

Back