Go over my recipie and tell me if it's o.k.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooner

Reaction score
1.5kg of Thomas Coopers amber malt EXtract
1.5kg of Morgans Carramalt liquid Extract
200 gms of Choclate Malt - Grain
300 gms of Crystal Malt - Grain
1 kg of Dark Dry Malt Extract
500 gms of light Dry Malt Extract

SAF T-58

Hallertau Hops for 60 mins
Hallertau Hops for 10 mins

And I also was thinking about some honey Maybe / Maybe Not?
I'm trying to aim for something with a slightly sweet flavor ,High ALC and good
Body .
where can I improve or is it OK.?

You won't need the honey. Actual honey is nearly 100% fermentable and will only dry out your beer. If you want the honey flavor, use honey malt.

IMHO, you need to take a look at the difference between base malts (high fermentability) and specialty malts (used for flavoring) and re-formulate your recipe a bit. You don't have nearly enough base malt and you're super high on the adjuncts, so you're going to wind up with a super sweet, low alcohol beer.

A good place to start would be using your light DME as 80% of your total grain bill and then adding small amounts of those other specialty malts to make up the rest. Always start with a generic, highly fermentable base malt (2-row based and not much else) to make the backbone of the beer and for alcohol content, then add the small amounts of specialty malts for the flavor profile you want. Specialty malts (anything roasted) impart a lot of NON-FERMENTABLE sugar into your beer and really just need to be used for flavor, aroma, head retention and color.

It's like when you make soup and you start with a good chicken broth. Nearly 80% of a good chicken soup will be the chicken broth. The carrots, celery, chicken chunks, noodles and spices make up the remaining 20% of the soup, which transforms it from something mediocre (just chicken broth) to a great soup.

If you apply the same logic to your beer recipe, you have way too many ingredients and not enough broth for a good "soup."

I hope the analogy helps. Try re-working the recipe and go easy on the dark and chocolate malts. Also, hallertau is a noble, floral hop that might wind up lost with all of those roasted flavors in the beer.

I'd highly suggest reading "How to Brew" by John Palmer. There's even an online version that you can read but the actual book goes into a lot more depth. It's a great reference.

Thank you very much for your help Aiptasia - So if I half the crystal and choc
Ditch the Caramalt can and replace it with a can of 2 row and what if
I get rid of the light dme and replace with honey malt and as for the hops , what if I use goldings for 60 mins instead.

Thank you very much for your help Aiptasia - So if I half the crystal and choc
Ditch the Caramalt can and replace it with a can of 2 row and what if
I get rid of the light dme and replace with honey malt and as for the hops , what if I use goldings for 60 mins instead.

There isn't any such thing as a "can of 2-row". Your recipe is an extract batch, from what I can see, and it's fine.

THANKS YOOPER IM BREWING THIS WEEKEND BUT I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT I MUST CHANGE MY YEAST FROM SAF33 to SAF T-58 and YOUR RIGHT I WAS GOING FOR A PARTIAL /EXTRACT.

THANKS YOOPER IM BREWING THIS WEEKEND BUT I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT I MUST CHANGE MY YEAST FROM SAF33 to SAF T-58 and YOUR RIGHT I WAS GOING FOR A PARTIAL /EXTRACT.

It's an extract batch with steeping grains. It looks pretty good to me.

But if you're using a Belgian yeast, then you may want to go with a Belgian type recipe.

I'm not familiar with most of those extracts (don't have them in the US, I don't believe) but it looks like a nice brown ale, almost a porter. Using a Belgian yeast in that is something I haven't done so I can't really advise on that.

Well,I've changed the RECIPIE again.
With some advise from from helpful people,I've put together this one.

1.5kg of Thomas coopers amber malt extract.
1.7kg of Select Thomas coopers Sparkling ale extract.
200 gms of Choclate malt - grain.
300 gms of Crystal malt - grain.
1.0kg of Dark malt extract - powder.
.500 gms of Dark Belgian Candi sugar.

Golding hops @ 60 min
Hellertau hops @ 30 min
Hellertau hops @ 5 min

Purchased some SAF T- 58 dry yeast as well instead of SAF 033.

Does this RECIPIE sound better, I'm not shore if Belgian or porter like
But the INGREDIANTS sound nice to me.

Back