beerswap 2007; review of ed's hefewiezen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriktlupus

Reaction score
good sound on opening, nice aroma in bottle
nice hazy golden color, good head dissapating into lacing after first couple drinks
not much banana but nice clove overtones
very nice balance between malts and hops
hope i make it all the way through that 32 oz ed sent:tank:

nice job ed:rockin:

excellent aftertaste smooth finsh

made it all the way through the buzz in a botttle

First off, I gotta ask where you got these bottles, Ed. I've never seen anything like them before. Very cool shape...I'm used to 12's, 22's and 750mL's. Anyway...

Uncapping / Pouring / Aesthetics:
Nice hiss at uncapping. Poured the whole thing (swmbo and I shared) without having to swirl the last bit---I guess that's because you counterpressure filled them. Nice head, doesn't last long, average bubble size and matrix. The color and cloudiness is hefe to a tee. Looks very tempting!

Aroma: Ah, hefe...a little sourness from the wheat, and the banana-cloveyness from the yeast. The one thing that stands out (in a very good way) is a very subtle, elegant woodiness. This is the same characteristic that I got in my Bohemian Pilsner. It's got to be the hops...saaz maybe? I can't remember what Ed uses, but I really like this extra layer. Damn fine.

Palate: Nicely done here. Very Bavarian in style, which is what I'd expect from the brewer. Subdued banana at first---more clovey---but as it warms up, the banana esters start to come out. All of this is very typical for commercial examples of the style, which is great, but what I most appreciate here is the stunning flawlessness of this beer. I've always held to the belief that there is a peak where hefe's are as good as can be, and so the brewer's task is to achieve this level of flawless hefe-ness. And I can't say that I find any flaws in this beer.

Proximity to the Style: Color, aroma, palate, finish...this is hefe as it was meant to be.

Overall Impression: This might be the best homebrewed hefe I've come across. Like I said, it's without fault or flaw; it's refreshing and light without being bland; it's complex without being overwrought. I'm definitely going to need this recipe...

Thanks for the honor, Ed. Wish I could offer you more constructive criticism, but all I can say is: don't change the recipe one bit. :mug:

Thanks guys for the kind review. I'm very glad you enjoyed my Bavarian Hefeweizen. It was inspired by this forum and Biermann was instrumental in my success in formulating my recipe thanks to his own success. I'm also very happy my bottling method from my kegs works well.

I use 32 ounce bottles from Tecate & Carta Blanca. I've picked up 3 cases of these beers from my local grocer. I enjoy these beers with some lime on hot days and I save the bottles. I think that if I'm going to send someone a beer, it's going to be enough to enjoy and 32 ounces provides a certain level of enjoyment in my opininon. :cross:

It's a great reusable bottle if you have a bench capper.

Tecate32oz.jpg

EdWort said:
Thanks guys for the kind review. I'm very glad you enjoyed my Bavarian Hefeweizen. It was inspired by this forum and Biermann was instrumental in my success in formulating my recipe thanks to his own success. I'm also very happy my bottling method from my kegs works well.

I use 32 ounce bottles from Tecate & Carta Blanca. I've picked up 3 cases of these beers from my local grocer. I enjoy these beers with some lime on hot days and I save the bottles. I think that if I'm going to send someone a beer, it's going to be enough to enjoy and 32 ounces provides a certain level of enjoyment in my opininon. :cross:

It's a great reusable bottle if you have a bench capper.

pic wuz here

Why does one need a bench capper??

BTW, what's the recipe??

chillHayze said:
Why does one need a bench capper??

Sometimes the lever cappers have problems with foreign bottles, champage bottles, English bottles, etc. The Tecate & Carta Blanca bottles are from Mexico.

I'll get my recipe up to the database later today.

Update: This beer took 3rd Place in the Alamo Cerveza Fest for the BJCP German Wheat & Rye beer category this year.

Back