Tea for Tannin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedley

Reaction score
Hi brewers,

I'm making my first batch of elderflower wine. The recipe said to put grape tannin in, but I didn't have any so I just opened up a couple of standard tea bags and added the powdered tea - which I've heard is a substitute. Is this okay?

Ross

...or should I have actually made a strong cup of tea and added this to the primary fermentation instead of just adding a tablespoon of ground tea (which is what I've done)?

Cheers people. So me throwing in the loose tea from the bag won't do any harm by the sounds of things. Should I make some strong tea and add to the mix? (It's been in primary fermentation for 2 days, and will be transferred to demijohn in 3). Or would this over do it?

Cheers people. So me throwing in the loose tea from the bag won't do any harm by the sounds of things. Should I make some strong tea and add to the mix? (It's been in primary fermentation for 2 days, and will be transferred to demijohn in 3). Or would this over do it?

I'd leave it be. If you still think it needs more later, you can always add more; but I'd wait & see what it tastes like at your 1st racking & go from there. BTW, next time just make a strong tea (with water) & add that; or at least leave the tea in the teabag, it makes things a lot easier.
Regards, GF.

Thanks gratus fermento! I notice that the tea bits are floating at the top of the demijohn. I may have to strain out at some point. Maybe wrapping some muslin round the end of the tube during the first racking?

Thanks gratus fermento! I notice that the tea bits are floating at the top of the demijohn. I may have to strain out at some point. Maybe wrapping some muslin round the end of the tube during the first racking?

That'll work, just remember to sanitize everything that touches the must & you should have no problems.
Regards, GF.

Back