Sorachi Ace Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
I'm drinking this American wheat beer I made with 1010, sorachi, and cascade and f'n a this is awesome. Just thought I'd pass the successful combo along...

Sorachi Ace can be tasty, but at the same time very over powering and can kill off the flavors of other hops. A little goes a long way.

I recently tried Brooklyn Brewery's Sorachi Ace Saison...wow!! The hops definitely overpowered the "saison'ness" of the yeast, but it was still a killer brew. I've since made it my mission to brew something with a good dose of Sorachi Ace in it. I'm sure your recipe is awesome as well.

Sorachi can get very lemon dish soapy in my experience. I would echo the light hand advice. On the other hand, I've found one can roll more aggressively with the Nelson Sauvin than people would have you believe.

Yeah, I'd agree I used one ounce total of Sorachi for my late additions as follows:

0.50 oz Cascade Pellet @ 15 Minutes
0.50 oz Sorachi Pellet @ 15 Minutes
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet @ 0 Minutes
0.50 oz Sorachi Pellet @ 0 Minutes

I have good flavor and aroma with this amount (for midwest taste as least). I just sent this one in to Slurp and Burp up in Estacada OR. We'll see how it does!

Sure.

American Wheat
American Wheat or Rye Beer

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 5.5
Total Grain (lb): 9.000
Total Hops (oz): 2.40
Original Gravity (OG): 1.043
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.51 %
Colour (SRM): 2.6
Bitterness (IBU): 30.4
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 72
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 lb American 2-Row (44.44%)
3.000 lb Wheat Malt (33.33%)
2.000 lb Flaked Wheat (22.22%)
+ 1 lb Rice Hulls (So you can lauter. BIAB you can leave out)

Hop Bill
----------------
0.40 oz Sorachi Pellet (11.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet (5.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Sorachi Pellet (11.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet (5.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Sorachi Pellet (11.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.1 oz/Gal)

Single step Infusion at 152°F for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 60°F with Wyeast 1010 - American Wheat

I hope we get results on this soon, I'd be interested in brewing. I have 2oz of Sorachi looking for a home.

Oh this got a 29 overall. Only detracting flaw listed was a spicy characteristic in the flavor (which I did get myself and enjoy, albeit, not totally to style.) If it wasn't for that the other categories had spectacular ratings.

I'm going to brew again at a little higher fem temp to see if it was yeast or hop related.

I have read that 1010 can throw a spicy phenolic character in some reviews depending on where you ferment at. I have also read the sorachi ace hop characteristic as spicy lemon zest. I'm really up in the air but I am leaning toward the sorachi ace here.

Back