first time brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socraticbrewer

Reaction score
I made a cider for the first time and now that I made it... well, lets say I have second thoughts about what I made. Here is what I did:

Boiled 5 gallons unfiltered, preservative free apple juice
Added 1# brown sugar; 3# honey, 3# malto dextrin, 1 nutrient tablet
Boiled 45 min
Cooled to 70F
Added Red Star Champaign yeast
OG = 1.100

Any ideas on what will happen? I am a bit nervous.

Sorry for the lack of providing any real questions. I guess what I am curious about is will this ferment properly? Was the matlo dextrin a bad idea? Will this take some time to ferment? Thanks for any help you can provide.

It should ferment to around 13% alcohol in around 3 weeks.

With an alcohol content that high I would think it would need to mellow in the bottle for a while before being drinkable.

I would be more concerned about boiling your cider, you didn't mention using any pectic enzyme so you'll probably have a very cloudy beverage.

I would not have added the malto dextrin and 3 lbs sounds like too much to me. I think your FG will be quite high. I'd guess you'll be 10-11% ABV with an FG around 1.025.

You need to boil beer, but not cider. There is usually no heat used in cidermaking. Pectins are set, flavors change, etc. You may end up with a cloudy cider that tastes like a cooked apple, but it should ferment.

I've never heard of a "nutrient tablet". Could it have been a Camden tablet?

The tablet is servomyces. I was told the malto dextrin helps the body. As far as boiling goes, does it just get cloudy? Will this end up more like mead? Without the malto dextrin and the boil this would work well, correct? Thanks for the help.

Back