Late harvested hops useable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenoMeno

Reaction score
I have a hop garden with 16 plants that went great. (2nd year) 20+ feet and great yield!
However.... I broke my foot this summer and was not able to harvest until a week ago. Most all the hops were brown and very dry; however, If I break them open they still have all the good ol' yellow. Some when picked were so dry, the leaves just fell off them, but they also still had lupulin on them.

Any chance these are at all viable for use? I thought maybe just as an aroma at flameout? or will the brown dry leaves affect the flavor of the wort?

Taste the hops vs. non-brown hops and that'll help determine their best use. Honestly, you might be fine to use them, but tasting is the way to go, imho. Wasting hops would be a sad, sad thing.

Yes, I don't wanna throw out four pounds of beauty. I was lucky to have a friend harvest a couple pounds when it was true harvest time, so it's not a complete wasted season. (though I still wear the cast, which makes brewing a challenge)

If it were me I'd get an oz from the LHBS of the same hops and make a hop-tea with some of the store bought and another with yours and compare the flavor, adjust the quantity of your hops to "match" the flavor of store hops in your tea then in your recipes.
Or just mail the lot to me and I'll make use of then =^)

I don't have room to grow them in Brooklyn, I did plant some in Massachusetts at my parents place but the hurricane destoyed them
and my trellis. I'll see if they come back next year, and i'll be making a stronger trellis system.

Back