Planning my next brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboPubx-16

Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for being super helpful in my previous threads, and in the hundreds of old threads I've read since joining this board. Hopefully one day I'll be able to give back some of this knowledge to the community.

I'm planning my next brew, my fourth in total. If everything turns out well, I'm thinking this will be my last brew I'll make with a kit before moving on to steeping my own malt and all that. The kit I've chosen is Morgans Golden Sheaf Wheat. For a boost, I've picked up a pack of Danstar's Munich yeast, as well as the following things for it to eat:

Briess Bavarian Wheat DME .45 kg
Billy Bee (Pasteurized) Pure Natural Honey 1 kg
Dextrose 1 kg

I've never used Honey or DME before, let alone both in one brew, so my question is, how much should I add of each? Should I throw some dextrose in there too? Are there any loose guidelines for using honey and DME as opposed to dextrose?

Also, I have access to organic wildflower honey, and I was wondering if anyone has found it to be significantly better or different for brewing beer.

Thank you!

As for the wheat, I would add the entire amount. That will add a nice flavor profile to your brew. For the honey, that will add extra fermentables and dry out your beer a bit. That will also bump up the alcohol content, seeing as the majority of the honey will ferment. For how much to add, that depends upon what profile you are going after, how much other fermentables you have, etc., but I would add at least 1/2 and go from there for your next batch.

I've never used organic honey, so I can't comment on that. Go with the dme/honey for your first batch, see what that does and how you like it, then add the dextrose to your next one.

You'll be adding comments to posts and that before you know it. Knowledge about this excellent hobby comes quick.

What I'm going for is a 5% ABV beer. Basically I should stick with 1 kg in total fermentable sugars for a five gallon batch, correct?

Back