Need Some Expert Help For A DIY Dummy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerryMonk

Reaction score
I have been brewing extract kits for a couple years now, and I really would like to step it up to the next level and begin brewing AG beers. I have scoured this site as well as youtube for explanations on building a homemade mash tun. However, not being naturally handy in the DIY department, all of the stuff i have seen does not seem to have enough step by step pics or detailed info that i need to complete the project myself. Does anyone out there know of a site or thread that would take me step by step with pics and show me exactly how to build a mash tun? Any and all help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ahead of time for your answers!!!! :)

That thread pretty much lays it all out. I was able to build one following it.

Thanks for the perfect answer to my dilemma. i think even i can follow that method. Just one more question....would this setup work for say a 70 qt cooler as well? Want to make sure i have the capacity to brew higher gravity stuff. Thank you kindly for your help. :)

My drain hole in my coleman cooler is 1/2" I.D. I got some 1/2" O.D. hose and stuffed it through the hole. Inside the cooler I have a 3/8 double ended push to fit barb fitting with a braided toilet hose clamped onto it. Inside the cooler, when I insert the barbed fitting inside the hose and pull it towards the outside, it is snug and water proof.

I have one of those big black paper clip things clamped onto the hose and I hang it on the cooler handle. That is "off". Unclip it and put it in the bucket is "on". It works great!

I bought the braided toilet fill hose, some 1/2 O.D. tubing and the double ended hose barb. Maybe I spend ten bucks. Beat that, McGiver!

I wanted to say a sincere thank you to all who replied to my post. Thanks for all the great tips and advice. i think i will definitely be able to build my MLT this weekend after a quick trip to home depot. Now.....everyone keep your fingers crossed that my first AG beer turns out great. :ban:

I wanted to say a sincere thank you to all who replied to my post. Thanks for all the great tips and advice. i think i will definitely be able to build my MLT this weekend after a quick trip to home depot. Now.....everyone keep your fingers crossed that my first AG beer turns out great. :ban:

Good luck. You'll do fine. If you haven't seen it already, I recommend this link as another good AG primer. All Grain

Back