question??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showtime24

Reaction score
i brewed my first batch on Saturday and i think i killed the yeast by putting it into the wort before it was cool enough.

but that isnt my question, i went to my local HBS today and was telling him about it and he said that it would be fine to add another pack of yeast as long as it was the same kind and it would not add any off flavors or anything like that. its a emulsifier yeast (atleast thats what it says on the pack lol) and was just wondering if thats true or if any of you have ever had any experiences with this.

the guy at my store seems very knowledgeable but im a DA so i dont know

Yes, you probably killed your yeast.

Yes you can pitch another batch of the same yeast with no off flavors, however you are in a race against time and nature. No matter how good your sanitation was there are always a few wild yeasts and bacteria that get in there. You normally count on pitching a good amount of yeast to outcompete them for the food supply.

Right now the wort is wide open to unfriendlies and if you intend to pitch more yeast you must get them in there as soon as possible before some other wild yeast or bacteria establishes itself in the wort.

Yes, you probably killed your yeast.

Yes you can pitch another batch of the same yeast with no off flavors, however you are in a race against time and nature. No matter how good your sanitation was there are always a few wild yeasts and bacteria that get in there. You normally count on pitching a good amount of yeast to outcompete them for the food supply.

Right now the wort is wide open to unfriendlies and if you intend to pitch more yeast you must get them in there as soon as possible before some other wild yeast or bacteria establishes itself in the wort.

it has been about 56 hours, do you think that is to long?

should i do a starter or just throw them in there?

YNo matter how good your sanitation was there are always a few wild yeasts and bacteria that get in there. You normally count on pitching a good amount of yeast to outcompete them for the food supply.

I wouldn't stress too much about this. In fact this MAY be a bit panic inducing and over-reactive. If the fermenter was sealed since you first pitched your yeast, then here really is little issue with wild yeasts and other nasties in there.

For one thing OFTEN yeast doesn't even begin to take off for 72 hours. It's called lag time, and it is pretty common and the beer still manages to be "safe" during that period.

Secondly, look up no-chill brewing. Again there is often a delay before yeast gets pitched.

The biggest thing is that if you sanitized your fermentation vessel, your wort was boiled and cooled and stayed sanitized, and you kept your fermenter sealed, then there is about a 95.5% chance that everything is fine.

So go ahead an pitch fresh yeast, the killed yeast will make a nice appetizer/energizer (yeast are cannibals) and most importantly, RELAX!

(I'd say rdwhahb, but since this is your first batch, you have no homebrew to have. ;)

:mug:

I wouldn't stress too much about this. In fact this MAY be a bit panic inducing and over-reactive. If the fermenter was sealed since you first pitched your yeast, then here really is little issue with wild yeasts and other nasties in there.

For one thing OFTEN yeast doesn't even begin to take off for 72 hours. It's called lag time, and it is pretty common and the beer still manages to be "safe" during that period.

Secondly, look up no-chill brewing. Again there is often a delay before yeast gets pitched.

The biggest thing is that if you sanitized your fermentation vessel, your wort was boiled and cooled and stayed sanitized, and you kept your fermenter sealed, then there is about a 95.5% chance that everything is fine.

So go ahead an pitch fresh yeast, the killed yeast will make a nice appetizer/energizer (yeast are cannibals) and most importantly, RELAX!

(I'd say rdwhahb, but since this is your first batch, you have no homebrew to have. ;)

:mug:

thanks man i guess since i dont have any home brew yet ill have to rdwhasbb(relax dont worry have a store bought brew) lol

oh yea i have another question also, i heard alot of different things on how long a belgian tripel should ferment. i was planning on going two weeks in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, then bottle. is that right?

Tripels take a LONG time before they are ready to drink. If it was me, I'd leave it in the primary for 4 weeks then bottle it for a LONG time (counted in months).

Tripels take a LONG time before they are ready to drink. If it was me, I'd leave it in the primary for 4 weeks then bottle it for a LONG time (counted in months).

I agree for a tripel I would Aiming for a minimum 4 months, maybe more. I would go a month in primary, another month or two in secondary and they will need to bottle conditioni for another 2-3 at least. You're talking about a rather potent beer that will definitely benefit from aging.

Too bad you chose such a big beer for your first batch. My suggestion is to get another fermenter and brew up something lower gravity like a pale ale that you can have while you are waiting for that bad-boy to finish.

I agree for a tripel I would Aiming for a minimum 4 months, maybe more. I would go a month in primary, another month or two in secondary and they will need to bottle conditioni for another 2-3 at least. You're talking about a rather potent beer that will definitely benefit from aging.

Too bad you chose such a big beer for your first batch. My suggestion is to get another fermenter and brew up something lower gravity like a pale ale that you can have while you are waiting for that bad-boy to finish.

i might just do that, you know whats weird. i pitched the extra yeast when i got home from work not even two hours later the air lock started bubbiling. it would bubble about once every 2 or 3 minutes. so i guess i didnt need the extra yeast because yeast doesnt start ferminting after just two hours, right?

Back