Aging Bottles in cellar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bladefist

Reaction score
I have an underground unfinished basement that has a temp range from about 45 degrees to 65 degrees. While that is a big range, it takes a long time for it to go up and down. So for the most part, its steady for 2-3 week ferments.

My question is, is it safe to keep my bottled beer down there? I typically let my bottles age until it's drinking time. I keep 1-2 bottles in the fridge, as I drink 1, i replace it with one from the cellar.

My concern is if the temp goes real low, to like 45, the beer might be considered refrigerated, an then when the temp goes back up to 60 in the summer, the beer could spoil?

I let my bottles age like this because I like to taste them at different intervals. Also, does beer age well in the fridge?

The beer won't be spoiled sitting at 60 degrees, that's a perfect cellaring temp. The temp swings will probably age the beer in a different way then keeping at a constant temperature, but will not ruin it. Would it be possible to put a small space heater down there and set it to keep the temps at a constant?

Check out The Brew Basement for tons of cellaring information and research.

Yea i could. later on. Right now im lagering down there because its holding between 48 and 52. Thats a bit of a fire hazard though.

Thanks for the link.

Back