Is This My First Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog House Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made what was to be a 15 gal batch of IIPA, but ended up with 13 gal. This was my first big batch on my new set up. OG 1.090 FG 1.012. I used 2 6 gal glass carboys and 1 7.5 gal bucket. Pitched 2 packs US-05 in each glass fermenter and made a 3/4 gallon starter of WLP001 with Muntons ex light DME. The glass tasted great when I dry hopped today, the bucket did not. The bucket tasted terrible and after a sip it was like it puckered my mouth. When I poured the sample in the sink, I ran some water and it smelled like sulfer. All fermented at a constant 68. The bucket had about 3 gallons in it. I pitched the starter on it. I thought at 1.090 it needed all the starter. Will over pitching cause this? Wish I hadn't lost the 2 oz of dry hops I pitched in before tasting. It sucks! :(

I don't thinking pitching the starter in 2 gallons would cause problems because the yeast would die off once the alcohol gets to the FG, it would just do this quicker. Starters are more susceptible to infection than smack packs/whitelabs/dry yeast for the obvious reasons. If both glass were fine without the starter and the bucket was the only bad batch, it was probably an infection. Sorry about your hops :-( thats just no good. At least you have 10 gallons of good stuff though!

Back