Alpha Acid Chemical Makeup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
Anybody know the chemical makeup/IUPAC name/diagram of alpha acid? Just curious

Very cool. How many R-Groups are there? Does the isomerization occur within the R group itself or at the other chiral center?

Parker36 said:
Very cool. How many R-Groups are there? Does the isomerization occur within the R group itself or at the other chiral center?

You're a geek.

Fortunately, so am I. If you want to really read the fundamentals of brewing chemistry and microbiology, I suggest looking at the CRC Guide to Brewing Science and Practice. CU Boulder probably has a copy in the library.

Give me a few minutes in ChemDraw and I'll have your answers...

EDIT: There's 51 pages on the chemistry of hop constituents alone...

If they made me take all that goddamn chemistry I'm going to put it to use somehow

There's 6 identified R-groups, (note that I modified the R in the picture such that the ketone is now part of "R").

R, alpha-acid
isovaleryl, Humulone
isobutyryl, Cohumulone
2-methylbutyryl, Adhumulone
propionyl, Posthumulone
4-methylpentanoyl, Prehumulone
hexanoyl, Adprehumulone
4-methylhexanoyl, unnamed

The following papers are probably of interest to you:

MOIR, M. (2000) J. Amer. Soc. Brew. Chem., 58, 131. (of particular interest)
STEVENS, R. (1967) Chem. Rev., 67, 19.
WINDISCH, W., KOLBACH, P. and SCHLEICHER R. (1927) Wochschr. Brau., 44, 453.

The Moir paper in the JASBC is a very good one, as it provides a millenium-review of what we know of hop chemistry. It was quite a good read, in fact. In it, it references the following paper which proposed the specific mechanisms of the isomerization:

De Keukeleire, D., and Verzele, M. The absolute configuration of
the isohumulones and the humulinic acids. Tetrahedron 27:4939-
4945, 1971.

Unfortuanately, I don't have access to Tetrahedron like I do the JASBC, but I'll let you know what I find when the article comes in.

So, the mechanism I am unsure of, but it doesn't occur on a stereo center of the R-group:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/images/8/84/Iso-alpha-acids.png

Wish I had more to say about it, but between not having the paper handy and risking copyright infringement of what I've got, this is what I can tell you.

:mug:

Remember, it's all just chemistry. ;)

EDIT: Wow that image it huge...

Back