Citra/Two Row/Honey - Honey Mango APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopherM

Reaction score
I'm at work, so I don't have BeerSmith in front of me, but I just ordered some ingredients for this weekend. I found a great deal on Citra hops, which I want to try before the supply runs out, so I just bought 4 ounces of Citra, 9 lbs of US Two Row, and 1 lb of honey malt.

I was thinking something along the lines of:

9 lbs Two Row
.5 lbs Honey Malt

1.0 oz Citra at 60
1.0 oz Citra at 20
.5 oz Citra at 5

I think this should make a nice session APA with pretty prominant honey from the honey malt and the mango notes citra is known for.

Could someone plug this in and tell me the OG and IBU at 5.0 gallons? I think I am a little light on two row, so I may need to lower the batch size a bit. I think I want to be around 1.04-1.045 on the OG.

Thanks....you know how it is, I can't wait until I get home to figure this out!!

Boil size? I assumed 6.5 gallons pre-boil and 5 gallons post-boil. Off the bat, that's too much Citra for an APA, I think. Depends on what you want. After plugging it in it looks like you're at about 75IBUs. This assuming about 11% Alpha on that Citra. If you do 1/2 oz Citra in each addition you'll get abotu 40 IBUs.

OG around 1.051
FG around 1.013

Should put you around 5% with a good ale yeast.

On my equipment, I get about .75 gallon loss to grain absorbtion per 10 lbs, and about 1.5 gallon loss due to boil off and cooling evaperation combined in a 60 minute boil, so for this batch, I'm looking at about 2.2 gallon loss, so about 7.2 gallon starting volume, 6.5 gallon boil.

I want to be around 55-60 IBU, so I think I'll go 1 oz for the 60 min addition and .5 oz for the other additions. I haven't seen anyone try this combo before, so I hope it ends up decent.

Thank you for the info!

Since you're in St. Pete we should try each other's beer! I do an IPA that will be ready this weekend that has honey malt and lots of citra. It's nice.

KJJOHNS.

Are you in any of the local homebrew clubs? I went to one Dunedin Brewer's Guild meeting, but haven't been back. Had a good time, they just tend to stay up in north Pinellas, so I don't always want to go drinking 20 miles from home.

I hear ya. I'm a part of Tampa BEERS. We meet at Dunderbak's. I don't always go but I try and be there regularly.

Back