what size element needed to maintain temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twardnw

Reaction score
So I am planning out my brewstand build, and had been considering going to an electric HLT, but indications from the landlord are that he won't let me have a 240v outlet installed in the garage. So, that takes me back to propane.

Question is, if I do the bulk of my heating with propane, would I be able to run a 120v element to maintain my HLT at 150-170. Not using the element to do the heavy lifting, but just keep my temps where I want them with a PID. What size element would work for this?

At 120V, you are going to be able to run (max) a 1500W element or a 2000W element, depending on whether your garage is set up for 15A or 20A. That's a decent amount of power.

A lot of folks can maintain a boil on a 5 gallon batches with 2000W.

hmm, can't decipher which circuit the garage outlet is on. Yes, one outlet in the entire garage, I really hate renting. I'll borrow my boss' toner and figure out what circuit it is, but, I guess if a 2000w element can boil 5 gallons, I should be ok with a 1500 just maintaining my HLT.

I am getting 2 sanke kegs to convert, one will be my HLT, the other my BK. 5 gallon batches, for now. My wife and I are looking to buy a house soon, then I won't have to worry about not enough power :)

Homercidal said:
I picked up a discarded coffee maker from the scrapyard and it heats up my sparge water to 170 easily. I think it holds over 3 gallons

1500 watts will increase the temp in your hlt about 2 - 4 degrees per minute depending on how much sparge water is in there. In an hour tap water would be up to 180 ish

Linc

Back