Changing the temp where primary is kept

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHAnimator

Reaction score
I've got a batch of Irish Red in the primary (bucket) which was pitched on Saturday. It's been suggested that I keep it in the primary for 2-4 weeks, so I'm shooting for 4. Right now, it's stored in on the main floor of my home where it stays 64-68, which is in the range called for during primary.

After the 7-10 days and the primary fermentation is complete, I'd like to move this to my basement. Where it currently sits would not be convenient for the next 3 weeks. Can I move this to my basement where it is more like 54? How would that affect things?

Thanks in advance,
NHAnimator

I would think 54 is too low, I would just keep it up @ 64-68. I just did an Irish red as well and I have been keeping it @ 68-73.

I am pretty new to brewing but from stuff I have read fermentation temp is crucial for the yeast to do its job, if you are too high or too low it could turn out pretty bad

What yeast did you use?

I would think that if primary ferment is done you'd be OK moving it to the basement to chillax for a few weeks as the yeast cleans up after itself.

I am pretty new to brewing but from stuff I have read fermentation temp is crucial for the yeast to do its job, if you are too high or too low it could turn out pretty bad

That's why I wanted to wait a bit before moving it. My guess is that the primary job of the yeast will have passed, but what secondary job it then plays is not known to me.

What yeast did you use?

I would think that if primary ferment is done you'd be OK moving it to the basement to chillax for a few weeks as the yeast cleans up after itself.

+1 The ferment has finished out, so cooler ambient temperatures will do no harm and may well be beneficial to the finished product. I routinely cold condition my ales way below 54F. I find that this helps the beer clear faster with no downside that I can detect.

I typically primary for 2-3 weeks, cold crash for 2-4 days then keg and condition for a few more weeks. Of course once it is in the keg and carbed it if fair game because I have no patience!

Back