Cleaning and sanitizing a three keg system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philygrips

Reaction score
I have a three keg setup with interchangeable silicon hoses on cam locks. I was wondering the best way to clean and sanitize? Can you just run a bleach mixture through the pump and whole system and then use Starsan or something through the whole system, or should I take everything apart that I can to soak separately? I also have a plate chiller and was wondering if Starsan is good for this also?

Just curious as to what brew day prep and cleanup procedures any of you do with a similar setup?

Oxiclean for cleaning and star-san for sanitizing. You don't need to sanitize anything that is going to have boiling liquids in it....and you can recirc the wort through your chiller before chilling so it will get sanitized. Be sure to have a pre-filter before the chiller!

Honestly, I just clean my brewing system with leftover hot sparge water at the end of my brew day. I always heat an extra 4 gallons or so of sparge water then just pump that thru everything at the end of my brew day for cleaning. I don't use soaps or cleansers on my system except for my once a year deep clean. then I just fill my HLT with water and PBW and pump that thru everything. rinse it well and let it dry.

pretty much. the system doesnt need much. mostly wanna get the sticky wort residue off of everything and any trub or particulate out of the BK. more to avoid mold and flavor contamination then anything else. After all the BK sanitizes itself and its contenst during the boil

I have a three keg setup with interchangeable silicon hoses on cam locks. I was wondering the best way to clean and sanitize? Can you just run a bleach mixture through the pump and whole system and then use Starsan or something through the whole system, or should I take everything apart that I can to soak separately? I also have a plate chiller and was wondering if Starsan is good for this also?

Just curious as to what brew day prep and cleanup procedures any of you do with a similar setup?

Bleach is not recommended for stainless steel.

When my system needs an overall cleaning, I use PBW and some hot water. I recirculate through the pump, the tubing, the CFC, the BK, the HERMS coil, and the MLT. This really works great, and it comes out shiny clean. Then just a rinse with hot water, and it's all set.

Nice. Thanks guys. Any more info on plate chillers after you cool the wort. Do you just flush out with water and sanitize before next chill?

Back