Breakfast stout finished a little high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
I've got a breakfast stout clone that started at 1.090 and has been at 1.025 for the past 2 weeks. Mouthfeel is thicker than i was hoping for, but otherwise it's pretty good. I'm trying to decide if i should try pitching some more yeast, or just let it sit as is. I only used one packet of US-05 and looking back maybe i should have pitched more yeast from the beginning. If i add another 1/2 packet now, can i expect it to drop a couple points?

Heres the grain bill:

13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.36 %
1.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5.80 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
0.60 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.48 %
0.40 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.32 %

I mashed at 155 for 60min

That's where mine finished and I was all bummed. I tried some things that I shouldn't have (heat, amalase, champagne yeast) and nothing budged it. Lesson learned...I probably mashed a little high and that was as low as it was going, but it was a darn tasty beer. I wish I had more of it.

That's where mine finished and I was all bummed. I tried some things that I shouldn't have (heat, amalase, champagne yeast) and nothing budged it. Lesson learned...I probably mashed a little high and that was as low as it was going, but it was a darn tasty beer. I wish I had more of it.

If you look around at most breakfast and oatmeal stouts, you'll notice most of them finish near 1.020. It's VERY common that these types of beers finish a little high.

Especially if you're cloning Founder's Breakfast Stout which should finish between 1.023-1.027.

I usually mash my stouts at 154. Any lower and I find they're too thin, any higher and they're too sweet. That's just my taste preferences though.

With you mashing at 155, you're likely done. You could add an enzyme to break down some of the long-chain dextrins, but it can be difficult to control exactly where it will stop fermenting (the enzymes would need to be denatured with heat, or they'll keep breaking down all the long sugars).

Thanks for the replies. The 60+ IBU's help round out the sweetness, so overall it's not too far off of what i was expecting.

Back