Fresh Citra Hops as a substitute for Centennial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymurgy101

Reaction score
Hi All,

Tomorrow is brew day and I was planning on brewing a Bell's Two Hearted clone. However, a pound of Citra wet hops fell into my lap this morning; so I was wondering how well the Citra would substitute for some of the Centennial required for the Two Hearted recipe? Any thoughts would be most welcome! I'd like to use these as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Jeff

If you want a clone of Two Hearted, I'd go with the Centennials, but if you just want a great IPA the Citra will do nicely. That said, you might still want to bitter with the Centennials and save the wet hops for near the end of the boil (1 lb wet is only about 3 oz dried). I did ~3 gallons of fresh hop beer a few weeks ago with 10 oz of fresh hops (Cascade and Willamette) added with 5 minutes left in the boil, and I used some old Centennial to bitter. Just bottled today, it was certainly hoppy but not over the top.

Back