Oops (help needed)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
I'm boiling a PM version of a robust porter and just noticed the recipe batch size is 6 gallons and not the usual 5 or 5.25. What a dopey move on my part. Anyway... My boil kettle is maxed out and I am fermenting in a bucket.

Should I...

A. Say screw it and end up with a bigger beer? I'm pitching a good starter so I'm not too worried about that aspect.

B. Split it into 2 buckets and top off so that they are 3 gallons each?

C. Other :drunk:

Thanks!

Since I use a 6.5 gallon fermentor I would ferment the full 6 in my bucket and use a blow off tube instead of an airlock just in case. If you can't do anything like that then I would go with option "B"

Since I use a 6.5 gallon fermentor I would ferment the full 6 in my bucket and use a blow off tube instead of an airlock just in case. If you can't do anything like that then I would go with option "B"

My bucket is a "True Brew". Last marking is at 5g, but total is 6.5. So, that seems like an option.

before you do that I would like some more input to make sure I my 3:00 work hump isn't affecting my judgment :cross:

Haha. Fair enough! I guess I'm a bit concerned about splitting up the starter equally if I go that route. So, I'm leaning toward option A. However, the tubing I have (that I use for my autosyphon) is too small for the hole in the bucket lid...

Dare I pitch a starter in this thing with an airlock? Take my chances? I'm afraid I am going to have a classic post real soon with pictures of wort on my ceiling. Maybe a trip to Home Depot is in order for some larger diameter tubing.

The thing that concerns me is if you go the big beer route, you may need a blowoff tube anyway or it may overstress the yeast. It all depends on what yeast you are using (which is not an area I am too familiar with). Which strain are you using?

The thing that concerns me is if you go the big beer route, you may need a blowoff tube anyway or it may overstress the yeast. It all depends on what yeast you are using (which is not an area I am too familiar with). Which strain are you using?

I'm using WL Cal Ale yeast in a 1 liter starter.

Back