slow start /no start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyEB

Reaction score
48 hours ago I pitched Wyeast 3191 Berliner Weisse into two 5 gallon batches of Hefe. The pitching temp was perfect as is the fermenting temp. But I'm showing no signs of fermentation yet. Should I just relax and let it happen?

Yes. Relax. I've seen it take three or four days before fermentation starts. This is why it's so important to pitch a nice sized starter. If you didn't make one this time, just take and extra 15 minutes a few days before you brew to make one next time. You'll be suprised how much it helps.

Just to bring this back up--

Wyeast does NOT recommend a starter with this blend since it is designed to allow the lacto to produce some lactic acid before the saccharomyces kicks in, which is why there is delayed fermentation. Doing a starter will alter this.

Also, if the berliner-weisse is true to style, you'll be pitching the packet on wort that is probably below the gravity of most starters.

What do you consider a sign of fermentation anyway?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock.

It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

As already stated in the linked sticky, Fermentation often can take up to three days to start. And by visible signs they do NOT mean airlock bubbling.

After 72 hours take a hydro reading....until then relax.

The extract kit from Northern Brewer. I wanted it to be my summer session(got a late start) so I did 10 gallons, and even though the summer is slipping away I live in Florida so it will still be hot when its ready.

Back