Blood Orange Hefeweizen questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snevey

Reaction score
So I brewed it this weekend, and am in the "I broke my floating thermometer club". Ran to the LHBS and got more ingredients. Two questions... One: I'm supposed to bottle this after 10 days. Is that 10 days from putting it in the fermenter or 10 days after fermentation has started? Reason I ask as it's been 24 hours and still no VISIBLE signs of fermentation. I'm going to do a hydrometer reading at 10 days to see where it's at. I may have just answered my own question.

Now question number 2... I saved the partially boiled LME in 3 gallons of spring water. I put it in a 5 gal glass carboy with plastic wrap on the neck of the carboy with a rubber band holding the plastic nice and tight. I wanted to assess the situation before I pitched that wort. When I transfered it, I stuck a magnet on the bottom of the brew kettle to attract the steel balls so they wouldn't transfer. Now, that I realize that the balls are not lead or anything serious, I'm going to filter that wort through my racking cane with a muslin sack on the pump end of the cane and then use a coffee filter or two on the hose end as I put it back in the kettle.

So, has anyone stopped boiling their wort, put it in a sanitized carboy and then boil that wort 2 days later? I would think anything that may have gotten into that wort (besides glass) would die in the 60 minute boil. What do ya'll think?

Steve

what is the "red stuff" in the therometer made of? hopefully it won't harm the wort. keeping fingers crossed for you!

you ever scene that movie where someone puts ground glass in someones food? Over the course of a week the guy starts coughing up blood and dies. I'm just sayin...

For question one: I went with my usual three weeks in the primary fermenter on this one and it turned out great. Sorry I can't help you with the second question.

Thanks... I think I'm just being cheap with my wort that I saved. For safety sake I should just dump it I guess...

Back