Chocolate Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwktr

Reaction score
I have a basic porter extract recipe I was thinking of making into a chocolate porter. I've never tried anything like this before, anything to consider? When, what kind, and how much chocolate for something like this?

I hear that using chocolate nibbs are teh tits. I've used unsweetened bakers cocoa in a RIS which taste chocolately, but there could also be chocolate flavor coming in from the specialty grains. Check the recipe database for addition times/quantity.

FWIW I used Cocoa Powder in the mash for my Choco Porter and I defnitely get a nice chocolately flavor. However, I do not think the beer is very good (not because of the chocolate flavor, but for other reasons) and I think the cocoa may have messed up the mash pH or something. I think BYO has an article on using chocolate...you could probably google for it

Back