Did I do yeast washing right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
So this past Monday I made my first attempt at yeast washing. The liquid that I've collected looks very clear so I am not sure if it has any yeast in it. I followed the instructions from the Yeast Washing Illustrated thread but I still want to ask for 2nd opinion.

This is me siphoning leftovers

219dgyc.jpg

This is what the end result looks like

25pgz28.jpg

125l760.jpg

The beer is a Belgian Wit using Wyeast 3944

This is already 12+ hours after I did it. I have been super busy last 2 weeks working 6 days a week (14 hours of OT yesterday). I took pictures in the fridge the next morning and all the jars have a little bit, big jar has the most obviously.

I want to brew another batch of Belgin Wit today, can I use what I have or do I have too little.

A lesson I learned this weekend, is to not directly pitch a jar of washed yeast. I thought if I made a large enough jar of rinsed yeast that I could pitch it directly and fermentation would take off no probs. That wasn't exactly the case though, and I even had about a 1/2" layer of good yeast on the bottom of my jars. I would highly recommend making a starter prior to pitching, both to ascertain viability of the yeast and to help achieve a quick fermentation when pitched. As is, my fermentation on my Dunkelweizen took about 24 hours to get going.

Here's the thread I made on the topic that may help you:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeast-wash-re-pitching-115994/

I answered my own question. I reanalyzed my steps and I now know what the problem was. It wont happen again, I promise! ;)

I know what my problem was and I think from the pictures I have enough yeast for at least 2 batches if I consolidate it. Just in case I bought a kit today with the same type of yeast again. Here is my big list:

Qty 1 Auto Siphon - 5/16" racking cane
Qty 1 1000 ml Yeast Starter Kit
Qty 1 Breakfast Stout Extract Kit
Qty 1 Witbier Extract Kit
Qty 1 Wyeast Belgian Wit
Qty 1 Tap-A-Draft System
Qty 1 Baltic Porter Extract Kit
Qty 1 Wyeast California Lager
Qty 1 Bavarian Hefe Weizen Extract Kit
Qty 1 Wyeast German Wheat
Qty 1 Dunkelweizen Extract Kit

I will wait for the yeast starter kit to arrive sometime next week? I will do a batch of another Witbier right after I get it and I hope to get 2 batches from all of my collected yeast. Based on how the first batch starts I will hold on to the new liquid Witbier yeast I have.

I'm a bit confused about the first pic. Siphoning leftovers? The first stage you need to get really jiggy with it. Throw that water in there, stir up all the yuk and pour it wholeheartedly into the first settlement vessels, warts and all. I dunno, it looks like you were being kind of gentle. Maybe I'm reading your OP wrong though.

Back