Small Leak in Primary Ferm. Spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minger

Reaction score
Hi guys, on my second brew, first is in the bottles. Over the weekend, I started my second (clone of Dogfish Head 60 min IPA). Everything went relatively well except for some slight hop measurement problems.

Anyways, I have a small leak in my primary fermenter at the spigot. Its a pretty small leak in the gaskets, but I'm concerned about contamination because getting all the ingredients was kind of expensive. Anyways, is this something I should be concerned about, and if so, what can I do to help prevent problems?

rack it to anothe vessel, and fix the leak. it will get worse when the ferm starts going off. i had a tiny leak in a bottling bucket, lost about half a beer worth, so no biggee, but 2-3 weeks? thats gonna lose alotta beer.

go get a bucket that doesn't have a spigot. When I got my kit it came with a spigot too...and I soon realized that anything that might bump the spigot would cause it to come loose enough to start a leak.

rack it to anothe vessel, and fix the leak. it will get worse when the ferm starts going off. i had a tiny leak in a bottling bucket, lost about half a beer worth, so no biggee, but 2-3 weeks? thats gonna lose alotta beer.

I only plan on it being in the primary for a week, then its going into the secondary with the dry hops. So aside from losing a little beer, I shouldn't worry about contamination?

I wouldn't think it would cause contamination... If beer is getting pushed out... Nothing should be sucked in.

*EDIT: Although I do shed a tear for the lost beer. You may curse yourself a few months/years down the road if this turns out to be your best batch ever :).

Back