Wyeast Ardennes 3522

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
I'll start off by saying I've had lots of trouble with certain wyeast strains. I'd pitch them, and fermentation wouldn't start for 48-36 hours. I don't like allowing my wort to go that long without fermentation simply because I've had an infected batch because of it. The wild yeast took hold before the wyeast had a chance to kick in.

So...that being said... I brewed a Belgian Dubbel last weekend and pitched a 2L starter of Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey. I pitched at 60 degrees and set my fermentation temps to 64. After 48 hours and no activity in the airlock, I decided to take a hyrdometer reading just to check. There was no krausen, no drop, nothing. I've heard this yeast is a fairly slow starter, and even Wyeast admits to it, so I wasn't overly worried. I decided though, in order to prevent contamination, to pitch a different yeast while waiting for the 1214 to kick in.

I decided on Wyeat 3522 Ardennes. I didn't make a starter, because I didn't want to overpitch. I suppose my post is because I'm curious if anyone has used this yeast before? I'd like to know what kind of flavors it lends to the beer. Is it the typical banana estery flavors, or is there more to it? It's fermenting away, so that's great. I asked the guy at the LHBS if he'd used it before, and he said he didn't know of ANYONE who had. I'm hoping for something magical to take place with the mixure of 1214 and 3522.

Ardennes gives a very clean "flat" taste when controlled correctly. I haven't ever noticed the bananas that I have with other Belgian strains. I have a pack in my fridge right now that I am going to use one of these days.

I just used this on a heavily modified (and well out of style) dubbel and it took off like a ROCKET. Visible activity in 4 hours. I'm really looking forward to tasting this once it's done working.

The Ardennes yeast is one of my favorite. It has a great spiciness and its very clean. Just won first place at a comp with a very simple Belgian pale ale that used the Ardennes. Goes GREAT with Styrian Goldings...

I'm liking my idea of adding 3522 more and more. It's still chugging away right now...been that way since yesterday around noon. I'm going to give it a few more days at 63-64 and then bump it up to 68 to finish it out. I don't want to go too high with the temps since I used 1214 too. I've got really high expectations of this brew...

I asked the guy at the LHBS if he'd used it before, and he said he didn't know of ANYONE who had.

I just saw this part of your original post. I had pretty much the same situation when I first purchased this yeast. I don't think its incredibly popular (from the LHBS experience and from perusing recipe sites, etc.), although I'm sure plenty of people on here have used it. You should definitely try another beer with only the Ardennes some time in the future to get a feel for just that yeast.

Back