Thermapen...I said...Thermpen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I just got my Thermapen thermometer from Thermoworks, and I have to say...it-is-bad-a$$!

Super quick, bigger than I expected, but I must say I am extremely satisfied!

Thermoworks is the place to get-in-where-you-fit-in, and I don't work nor have any affiliation with them.

They even sent me a package of JellyBelly jelly beans w/my order!:D

And they were spectacular..MMMMMMM!!!!:ban::drunk:

Still, don't ask about where to get an accurate thermometer, just go to Thermworks and save yourself the trouble.:mug:

I drool over these - and I've dropped a hint or two on the missus. :D

I use a K-probe Thermocouple that's awesome for the mash, but I want a thermopen for kitchen use.

I've been using the Thermapen for a while. I've decided to get a separate meter from them with a waterproof thermocouple to monitor mash temps and also fermentation temps without having to open the respective containers. In addition I'm seriously considering picking up one of their pH meters.

I drool over these - and I've dropped a hint or two on the missus. :D

I use a K-probe Thermocouple that's awesome for the mash, but I want a thermopen for kitchen use.

Don't spend the $$ on a thermapen, then! You know you can buy a type-K probe from them that is the same exact probe that the thermapen uses? I just got mine recently. Is is badass.

So, I have the 39" waterproof PTFE/FEP wire probe (133-372-T) for my mash, and the penetration probe (113-159) for cooking and whatever else.

So all you have to do to upgrade your indicator to a thermapen is spend the $30 on the penetration probe.

People, do not spend your cash on the thermapen. I implore you. Get a type-K indicator and you can interchange with the dozens of type-K probes, rather than being married to the single probe with the thermapen.

I've been using the Thermapen for a while. I've decided to get a separate meter from them with a waterproof thermocouple to monitor mash temps and also fermentation temps without having to open the respective containers. In addition I'm seriously considering picking up one of their pH meters.

I used to monitor the mash theps throughout the mash . After 20-30 brews I have found once I hit my mash temp it stay within 1-2° the whole time even in winter . So my thermocoupler is used during fermentation.

Don't spend the $$ on a thermapen, then! You know you can buy a type-K probe from them that is the same exact probe that the thermapen uses? I just got mine recently. Is is badass.

So, I have the 39" waterproof PTFE/FEP wire probe (133-372-T) for my mash, and the penetration probe (113-159) for cooking and whatever else.

So all you have to do to upgrade your indicator to a thermapen is spend the $30 on the penetration probe.

People, do not spend your cash on the thermapen. I implore you. Get a type-K indicator and you can interchange with the dozens of type-K probes, rather than being married to the single probe with the thermapen.

I knew I would see you in here. I am planning on going your route but may wait to put it on the Christmas list along with a PH reader, I need oxygen right now and a tank/regulator are not cheap.

I knew I would see you in here. I am planning on going your route but may wait to put it on the Christmas list along with a PH reader, I need oxygen right now and a tank/regulator are not cheap.

You need oxygen? For what?

yeah, I'm a true convert to the Type-K. I think my next probe purchase is going to a probe for my smoker. :rockin:

I used to monitor the mash theps throughout the mash . After 20-30 brews I have found once I hit my mash temp it stay within 1-2° the whole time even in winter . So my thermocoupler is used during fermentation.

This is usually the case when I'm using my MLT, too. If I do a normal-sized batch using the MLT I don't worry about it at all.

However, there are certain times like when I'm doing a partial mash or small batch in the MLT, or doing BIAB on the stove, that I'd like to have a probe in there all the time because I'm not used to the equipment under those conditions, and they tend to lose heat much faster and more unpredictably than with my usual setup.

You need oxygen? For what?

yeah, I'm a true convert to the Type-K. I think my next probe purchase is going to a probe for my smoker. :rockin:

umm... to put pure oxygen into wort. Currently I am just splashing the wort while I cool it down with the immersion chiller, not very effective it seems

umm... to put pure oxygen into wort. Currently I am just splashing the wort while I cool it down with the immersion chiller, not very effective it seems

Uh, yeah, but you don't need to buy a tank/regulator setup. Just get the oxygenation wand & knob regulator from williamsbrewing and then buy those little $5 red disposable oxygen tanks from Lowes/HD.

Not cheap? I just got a regulator, hose and stone from BMW for $35. The oxygen canister costs ~$6 at Lowes.

Yeah, and if I had to do that all over again, I'd have bought the rigid wand (that's what she said) from Williams Brewing. Much more effective, because the stone sits on the bottom of the vessel, meaning it has to travel through more wort to get to the surface, which means more oxygen is absorbed.

S78.JPG

Actually I have some spare SS tubing, i might just mod mine to be like that...:D:D:D oh yeah!

Where did you get your type-K indicator? Link?

You want to aerate as close to pitching time as possible. Aerating your wort while it's still cooling down is definitely not a good time to do so, because the oxygen you add then is being used to create other compounds and thus not available for the yeast during fermentation. This is as per Dr. Charlie Bamforth's interview on Brew Strong.

FWIW, I will probably be buying a seperate thermo with a probe just like evan's setup for my MLT, you can always benefit from having more than one accurate thermometer.

When I do make my purchase guess where I'll be getting it from...Thermoworks!

That's right! I said it! I do what I want! Uh-huh.:mug:

FWIW, I will probably be buying a seperate thermo with a probe just like evan's setup for my MLT, you can always benefit from having more than one accurate thermometer.

When I do make my purchase guess where I'll be getting it from...Thermoworks!

That's right! I said it! I do what I want! Uh-huh.:mug:

What color did you get. Mine is blue, it happens to be the most accurate color.:p

What color did you get. Mine is blue, it happens to be the most accurate color.:p

I went with the red, I was gonna go blue, but then it would have match my MLT and I didn't need any friends calling the "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" show in me.:ban:

FWIW, I need something bright that stands out, I can put stuff down right in front of me and not see it, I figured red or orange were the best, I seem to notice red more though, so that was the deciding factor in my choice.

Back