Cloudy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash

Reaction score
I brewed a NB Strong Goldern Belgian 3 months ago -- gave it 1 month in the primary, a month in secondary and an additional month to clear in a carboy. When I kegged it a bout a week ago the sample was pretty bright & clear. Now that its chilled and carbed the samples are cloudy. Should I pull the keg out of the fridge and let it age another month or 2 at room temp? I would appreciate any ideas.

Chill haze can be caused by a number of different things... Not enough of a vigorous boil, not using Irish Moss or finings, cooling after the boil too slowly, etc... I would just check your process to make sure that you are doing everything right while making the batch to ensure that the final product is up to your standards.

Although chill haze may be annoying, it does not really affect the beer. IMHO, as long as the beer tastes good, forget about the chill haze. Just let it sit in the fridge for a while as an extended cold conditioning phase. May clear up just fine in a week or two. If not, who cares? It's a homebrew! Like I said, as long as it tastes good, you need not worry.

Oh yeah, you could also just serve it in a plastic cup or something that is non-transparent. It will be like the chill haze never existed! ;-)

I agree. Check your boiling and cooling process.

I find that even when I don't use Irish Moss, my beers still tend to come out very clear, though I use it as often as possible (that is when I don't forget!!). I know I have a vigorous boil everytime, and my cooling is pretty quick (about 1/2 hour or less). On top of that, I use a secondary almost every time, even if just for a few days to clear the beer before bottling.

Double check those things, and use the Irish Moss, should resolve the problem.

Then again, chill haze is merely an appearance problem anyway, so if you can deal with it, no biggie. I don't usually fret over it when it happens to me.

Roman

I've also noticed chill haze tends to go away after time also. Leave it in the keg and cold for a week and it should be clearer.

I have chill haze problems intermittently, I still haven't gotten around to building my (IC)wort chiller, so I ice bathe in the sink. Sometimes I get a really good cold break with 2 bags of ice other times I use 1 bag of ice and its a crap shoot. I'm about 50/50 right now so half have been clear while the other half have had chill haze.

Having said that they all taste great so, +1 to the frosted glass or opaque cup of some sort if it is bothersome.

Back