carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
I know this has been asked a thousand times but I am asking again.

I brewed a batch a BB amber cerveza style and it did not carb. up like the american amber I made, The only difference was with the 2 brews, I bottled the american amber after 2 weeks and bottle conditioned. The cerveza style I let sit in the primary for 4 weeks.

Should i have racked to secondary to let it stir up again or Is this just a grumpy slow carbing beer. It has carbination, Just not as good as the other batch.

Any thoughts.

It just may be cooler now, and not at 70 degrees. Every fermentation is different, and sometimes bottles carb up fast, sometimes not. After a month, if it's still not carbed and it's been at 70 degrees, you may want to gently upend the bottles to resuspend the yeasst and wait a couple more weeks.

Revvy- I was asking for it I know. But this beer was Bottled on 8-15-2008.
I stored it at 70 degrees for 3 weeks and I have been drinking it a little at a time. I was concerned I left It to long and all the yeast was used up? Is that possible?

Revvy- I was asking for it I know. But this beer was Bottled on 8-15-2008.
I stored it at 70 degrees for 3 weeks and I have been drinking it a little at a time. I was concerned I left It to long and all the yeast was used up? Is that possible?

No it takes several months sitting in primary or secondary to "use up the yeast." I leave all my beers in primary for a month and never have had a problem with carbonation...

But one thing I do do is that when I am racking into the bottling bucket I always brush the bottom of the autosiphon along the bottom of the fermenter once to kick up some yeast back into suspension.

Are you sure the ambient temp is over 70? It sounds ridiculus but even a 2 degree change in temp (like 68) means a lot to the yeasties in terms of how active they are...

One thing to do is to rerouse the yeasts in the bottles by rolling on a table top back and forth, and leaving them for a couple more weeks...making sure that the storage is above 70 degrees...

I suspect that what "Revy" says is the culprit, particularly at this time of year, when it starts getting colder.

We keep our house proper heated to 67°F, which means that the basement stays at 61°F, and may in the coldest part of Winter, or with wind, go as low as 59°F. This makes it essential that the newly bottled beer be kept upstairs for a couple of weeks, so that the yeast can get the carbonation well started.

After two weeks, I move it to shelves in the basement, which has proven ideal for the remainder of the conditioning and storage.

Ok guys Its been a little over 2 weeks. I rolled the bottles and moved them near my wood stove. I put a thermometer on the cases and it was a steady 70 -72 degrees. I let them sit and then chilled some for Thanksgiving. Still very little carbing. I have some questions. If the ambient temp. is 70-72 the beer is a little cooler? Does the beer need to be 70-72 degrees?(not the bottles) Like I said before I am thinking and looking back in my notes to the other 2 brews.( This is 2 brews with low carbing now) I am using a bucket to ferment. I do not use a secondary. Is it bad to use a bucket and let it sit for a month? I have heard of oxygen possibly getting into the wort, Is this a problem. The other 2 batches carbed nicely when I let them sit 2 weeks and then bottled.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks, Happy Holidays. :mug:

Ok guys Its been a little over 2 weeks. I rolled the bottles and moved them near my wood stove. I put a thermometer on the cases and it was a steady 70 -72 degrees. I let them sit and then chilled some for Thanksgiving. Still very little carbing. I have some questions. If the ambient temp. is 70-72 the beer is a little cooler? Does the beer need to be 70-72 degrees?(not the bottles) Like I said before I am thinking and looking back in my notes to the other 2 brews.( This is 2 brews with low carbing now) I am using a bucket to ferment. I do not use a secondary. Is it bad to use a bucket and let it sit for a month? I have heard of oxygen possibly getting into the wort, Is this a problem. The other 2 batches carbed nicely when I let them sit 2 weeks and then bottled.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks, Happy Holidays. :mug:

Time, time time...If there is LOW carbiing, that means they're on their way to being carbed....I takes time.

Two weeks is not THREE WEEKS...THREE WEEKS TENDS TO BE THE MINIMUM MOST BEERS TAKE....

Sitting a month in a bucket has nothing to do with how it will carb up...If we're talking 6 month or a year in secondary...yeah that owuld affect it...but one month...Not. I leave ALL my beers in primary (usually buckets) for a month...and they carb up fine...

When they are ready...

Consider carbonation a totally seperate process from everything else you have done..It doesn't matter what you fermented in, what matters is how much priming sugar you added, the temp of the storage and whether you're patient or not...

If the beer has been sitting in a 72 degree space for 2 weeks, your beer is 72 degrees...it's the ambient temp of the room..The only time beer and the environment are at different temps (if they are not in a temp controlled environment) is during primary fermentation, heat is given off.

Now the beer is just sitting there, while the co2 is slowly filling the headspace and then being reabsorbed back into solution....It's the same as the room...

Relax, everything is fine....I've had beer take 6-8 weeks to carb up...one day they're not, and another day *bam*

You're dealing with a living organic process....the yeast have their own agenda..and they're the bosses.

Quit analyzing it, nothing's wrong....go brew another batch....

:mug:

revvy-ease up on that dude. if we didnt ask the same question multiple times,we would have nothing to talk about when we log on.this site would be just be one big
encyclopedia

The busman.
ps. we come here so not to here our wives

I have my ****in Hevy (Scottish) Ale that was in the primary for 2 months approximately and I bottled it with 3/4 cup of priming sugar.

I just popped the top on a 12oz bottle and it made a slight hisss noise but I tasted no carbonation. My apartment is lower than 70 degrees since it's gotten colder outside. I suspect it will take a couple more weeks before it's fully carbed.

Now that I've read you need to keep it at least 70, I'll take the cases out of the closet by the front door and move them upstairs where it's warmer.

Back