Can I adjust My SG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlenigk17

Reaction score
So we did our first all grain batch yesterday and with a few set backs we managed to pull it off. Although we did not seem to hit our target original gravity. We were on the low side and we did find out why. It was because we had too much volume for poundage of grain we were using. My question now is, is there a way during these next few days of fermentation to help bump up the SG and therefore hit our target final gravity?

I'm not sure why no one has replied yet...

I'm also no expert, but I have seen reccomendations to boil up some water and add light/dark dry malt extract (depending on your recipe) and add that to the beer. Of course you want to make your addition overly malty to compensate the rest of the beer.

Mostly though, people will tell you that your beer will be fine, and don't sweat the small stuff. If the gravity reading was 'close' to the expected gravity, then sometimes it's not worth risking infection to bring it up.

Also, people will ask for your recipe, yeast, and gravity readings.

Good Luck!:mug:

you always have the option to add DME (dry malt extract) to your boils. What was your recipe? I still occasionally hit low efficiency which leads to a starting gravity which is somewhat lower than i would like. Do some reasearch into brewhouse efficiency and i think it will answer your questions.

Once fermentation started i wouldnt add more sugar but if your intent on it or if your SG was alot lower then you can boil up some DME and let it cool and add to the fermenter. Please post your recipe and gravity readings for more help. Also howlong has it been going etc.

Welcome to HBT

What exactly was the recipe and what is the Original Gravity you were shooting for? A low OG is either too much sparge water and not enough boiloff, or low efficiency overall.

And toaster, since you knew someone would ask, why didn't YOU ask? :p

Here are the recipe details for the Irish Red:

11.25 pounds of grain:

9 lbs 2 row
1 lb crystal 120L
8 oz aromatic
8 oz caramunich
2 oz black roasted
2 oz special B

1 oz Magnum hops for bittering
2 oz Williamette hops for flavor

Dough-in:
Phil says he doughs-in with 1.25 quarts per pound of grain (14.06 qts) - the recipe suggests 1.1 quarts (12.4 qts). We started with 3.5 gals (14 quarts) and added two pots full of boiling water (I would guess at least a couple of quarts more).

Sparge:
The recipe says you sparge with 1/2 gal of water for every pound of grain. That would mean we should have sparged with 5.5 gals. We started with 6.5 and added at least two gallons for a total of 7.5 gals.

Back