SOS Urgent help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxford brewer

Reaction score
I have a Hambleton Bard Pressure Barrel http://www.arkwrightshomebrew.com/product_info.php/cPath/25_37/products_id/149,It contains 39 pints of Almondbury Old that has been kegged for 16 days(for people to drink on my birthday (April 8th).Tonight i sampled a pint(for 'Quality Control' you understand:D ),when i went back to the keg for further QC sample, the tap was dripping(my home made produce...slowly dripping on the floor:mad: ).
I drained the pressure from the keg and layed it on its side to inspect the tap without beer leaking out,cannot see any damage to the tap but it is not seating properly when the tap is turned off.
The sediment has been stirred up by this as well!!!!!!!!!
Will this beer still be ok in 4 days,what with being exposed to air(for about 2 mins)and shaken about a bit(you can see a small head on top of the beer through the side of the keg)?

PS if most hasnt leaked out by then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!A drip every 2-3 seconds.....any mathematicians care to work it out for me??????????????

oxford brewer said:
PS if most hasnt leaked out by then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!A drip every 2-3 seconds.....any mathematicians care to work it out for me??????????????

If I recall from high school and college chem classes... 15 drips makes a mililiter. So, 15000 drips would make a liter. There are 19 liters in a 5 gallon batch, so you'd have to get 285000 drips to drain the whole batch.

edit (here's where I started to make mistakes.)
At one drip every 2 or 3 seconds (let's call it 2.5 seconds), it will take 114000 seconds to drip out.

edit (and then I made another mistake)
That's 1900 hours.

That's about 79 days.

You're fine.

edit: Holy Cow, my math is f'ed up today...

285000 drips @ 2.5 seconds/drip = 712500 seconds.
That's 11875 minutes.
That's 198 hours.
That's 8.25 days.

You better start drinking. :) You'll lose half of it before your birthday gets here.

:)

Imperial Walker said:
If I recall from high school and college chem classes... 15 drips makes a mililiter. So, 15000 drips would make a liter. There are 19 liters in a 5 gallon batch, so you'd have to get 285000 drips to drain the whole batch.

At one drip every 2 or 3 seconds (let's call it 2.5 seconds), it will take 114000 seconds to drip out.

That's 1900 hours.

That's about 79 days.

You're fine.

Nicely done there Walker :mug:

desertBrew said:
Nicely done there Walker :mug:

not really. I royally f*cked that up. I divided when I should have multiplied, and then I forgot one of the "divide by 60's" when converting seconds to days.

The edited stuff in red is accurate, I believe. The only two variables would be

(1) am I right that 15 drips makes 1 ml?
(2) EXACTLY how far apart are the drips? I used 2.5 seconds.

-walker

I'd check your math right now for you but that'd be work. And considering I am currently at work and prefer not to work too hard while I'm at work I'll have to wait until I get home. ;)

Moderator, please move this to the sober ramblings section!

Imperial Walker said:

edit (here's where I started to make mistakes.)

edit (and then I made another mistake)
That's 1900 hours.

That's about 79 days.

You're fine.

edit: Holy Cow, my math is f'ed up today...

285000 drips @ 2.5 seconds/drip = 712500 seconds.
That's 11875 minutes.
That's 198 hours.
That's 8.25 days.

You better start drinking. :) You'll lose half of it before your birthday gets here.

Cheers for your help there Walker! .......its even better news! Imperial 5 gallons is 23 litres so it should last roughly 20% longer:ban: .

The aflicted keg has been sat on the breakfast bar now for 30minutes without a drip after i lay the keg on its side with the tap at the top;) and blasted some co2 through open tap and then closed it...fingers crossed!!!!!

Maybe your drip was just residual beer in the nozzle? Try absorbing it with a tissue after you've poured a pint and if you're still leaking then I'd worry. I'm sure the beer will be fine... stop shaking it about :p

The leak seems to have stopped and i have slowly raised the co2 pressure.I left it overnight and no beer is leaking out:D .
There must have been something stopping the tap from seating properly when closed:confused: .
More concerned that when i check it after work(and draw a pint off)the damn tap will not shut off again:drunk: .
Regardless it will all be drunk on saturday:p

More concerned that when i check it after work(and draw a pint off)the damn tap will not shut off again:drunk: .
I did...it didnt:mad: :mad:
Tried a few pints tonight but the beer is pretty flat as i drained the pressure last night to check the tap.Cant put to much pressure in the keg as it forces more beer out.....
To sum it up in an english phrase....bollox:p

Back