any good brewing books out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cola

Reaction score
any good brewing books out there?

i need something to read while i do a number two

I own a few and i'd recommend you start with the Complete Joy of Homebrewing. It's not too technical and really gives you the impression that anyone can home brew. It's nice because the other book i read, which was a good resource, almost had too much information and made the whole process seem intimidating.

I have also read the Complete Joy of Homebrewing and also How to Brew by John Palmer, both have good infromation.

Complete Joy of Homebrewing is definite thumbs up for number 2 reading. Reasonably good information for the beginning homebrewer and a nice bit of the philosophical as well. Plus I think there is a history of beer too.

+1 read the stickies

www.howtobrew.com
You can get a good solid grounding in the science and practice of brewing from this book, and it's free online. Go wherever you please from there.

rdwj said:
Start with How To Brew
Then Designing Great Beers
Then Extreme Brewing

+1.

I've read both "How to Brew" and "Complete Joy of Homebrewing", and "How to Brew" is the better book. Start with it, you won't go wrong.

Designing great beers is good and so is the brewmaster's bible. Haven't read the joy of home brewing yet, bu I have ordered it from amazon.

rdwj said:
Start with How To Brew
Then Designing Great Beers
Then Extreme Brewing
Following previous advice on here, I read all of these. They were all incredibly helpful, and I wholeheartedly agree that reading them (in that order) is a very good idea.

Anyone have any suggestions for what'd be good to read next?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Clone Brews and Beer Captured (which, I think, are good recipe books). I too, would like to get Brew like a Monk; I hear it has a lot of good information/recipes in it.

Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher (Not to be confused with Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing) is an entertaining book. It mixes history with techniques with creative use of ingredients. And it's got a lot of interesting recipes as well.

Back