Putting the tap on my new Tap-A-Draft

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseL

Reaction score
I've been reading all the threads on the Tap-A-Draft system (which I just bought) and I don't see an answer to my question. Probably because the answer is obvious and I'm just unfamiliar with my new equipment. Up to this point I've done regular bottling. I'm planning on priming my current brew as I always have (corn sugar) and conditioning in the Tap-A-Draft bottles. When it's time to tap, do I really just unscrew the cap, put the tap on, and pressurize with the CO2 cartridge? I always figured that once a bottle is open, it's open. For some reason, opening the bottle and closing it again freaks me out.

Someone please tell me to RDWHAHB.

You unscrew it, swap it out and add the gas to the tap part. There is still lots of carbonation in the beer, so you are just losing the headspace.

Be sure you unscrew the bottle standing up and slowly to release the gas that has built up already. I have had bottles over flow when opening to fast, but I think I used too much priming sugar in those.

I have had some problems screwing in the CO2 cartridges, keep that red tab that holds the cartridge holder. Ive noticed ill screw it in and it will not puncture the gas. I dont wanna over tighten, but if I slowly loosen the cartridge it will catch it as I back out. I liked the little system, purchased several more empty bottles and had fun with it. I just upgraded to a keggerator though, so im not using the tap-a-draft stuff much anymore.

Be sure to get the bottle cold before opening it. You maintain more carbonation that way. I always give mine a few days under pressure before pouring the first glass. You can also cut back on the priming sugar as needed. With some of my brews I find I use less when using my tap a drafts.

Be sure to get the bottle cold before opening it. You maintain more carbonation that way. I always give mine a few days under pressure before pouring the first glass. You can also cut back on the priming sugar as needed. With some of my brews I find I use less when using my tap a drafts.

+1. Chill for a day prior to switching from cap to tap, it will help to keep more co2 in solution.

Back