Lager has a sweet, fruity flavour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyD

Reaction score
So, my lager has finished fermenting and is at 1.012'ish, and been lagering for 3 weeks @ 2'C, but it has a sweet fruity taste. I have had this before and it does go away after long bottle conditioning, but what is it? could it be esters? I pitched below 10'C and recipe is basicaly: pale malt(4kg), some crystal(400g) and corn (1kg) and I used W-34/70 saflager.
now the sweet could come from the crystal, but the fruity? and the fact that it DOES go away? does esters go away?

I suspect the crystal malt and the corn. Both of these will add some sweetness. I've only kegged my lagers, and for those, I can get some fruitiness in the first few pints as there is a little bit of yeast in them.

Diacytle? How did you ferment the lager? What was your schedule?

I chilled the wort to about 9'C and then pitched yeast, it sat like that for 2-3 weeks and then i lowered the temp to about 0'c. (Been there for 2 weeks now)

Think the yeast might cause it.

I chilled the wort to about 9'C and then pitched yeast, it sat like that for 2-3 weeks and then i lowered the temp to about 0'c. (Been there for 2 weeks now)

Think the yeast might cause it.

So this beer is still in lagering?

Back