Ro water help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunbar171

Reaction score
Was just given a brand new ro system but I'm not sure the best way to use it. What's the best way to use it. I'm trying to switch to ag but looking at all this water stuff is making my head spin. Any info you could point me to would be helpful. All the searching I've done just confuses me more thanks

RO water is still a good choice for extract brewing. All the minerals from the mashing water are in the extract, so you don't really have to add more (that assumes the maltster's water had enough calcium). The low alkalinity of RO water also means that you run less risk of extracting tannins or silicates from your accessory grains.

Its a win/win for extract brewers. When you go all grain, start at the Water Primer mentioned above and work with that until you are comfortable. Then you might venture into more elaborate water chemistry efforts with a program like Bru'n Water.

Enjoy!

Back