how long for wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrasty

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a fairly noobish question here. I did a quick search and didnt really find an answer. On here I've heard that wheat beers doesnt take as long to "come of age" But where exactly in its cycle does it not need the time? I'm currently brewing an American Wheat. It fermented fully in a week @ 70?, and is now in the secondary. With the wheats do i still need to go with the 1-2-3 week rule, or do other "timings" apply? Thanks

Cheers :mug:

It's a general comment concerning wheats.

IMO, that's -- In My Opinion -- a German-style Hefe Weizen does not require a secondary because it is supposed to be consumed while still cloudy (with yeast in suspension). I'm a snob this way because I lived in Germany for 9 years.

IMO, an American Wheat should be served clear. So a secondary is needed for clearing and mellowing.

I just brewed a German-style HW on 5 May and kegged it on 11 May. I sampled it tonight and it is OUTSTANDING!! I also used the gyle to naturally carbonate it. The gyle re-ferments it and keeps more yeast in suspension.

However, it's your brew you can serve it any way you want. :D

Cool, point taken on the primary/secondary situation... but what if im not kegging (which I'm not) Since I'm using bottles would they be ready to go as soon as i have proper carbonation? How long does it need to condition in the bottle? Thanks again!

Cheers

Well, either way it's very important that your brew has reached its FG.

This is usually a drop in gravity by 75%. For example, OG is 1.050 or just 50. Divide by 4 = 12.5. So your FG should be in the neighborhood of 1.012. Then you know it's done and ready to bottle.

Once primed, 1.25 C Corn Sugar (for Weizens), keep your bottles in an area above 70F and they should be ready in about 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back