I'm gonna quit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on day 6 of Chantix....2 cigs to go. SWMBO has been doing the happy dance all day

Yeup, keep it up - there is light at the end of the tunnel!
You never really give up, you just don't have a cig each day!
It is not a huge issue if you slip up and have one. It just resets the amount of time to crack the addition back to the start. It normally takes a few goes.

My wife and I gave up at the same time. Each day we put a pound in a jar. The person that smoked first gave up the jar to the other person to spend on whatever they wanted.

Just be strong. It is your body, you tell it what to do and think. Cold turkey, be strong - you are just delaying the outcome with gum / patches and whatever else the marketing departments would want you to belive will help.

Don said:
Stopped on December 31 2001.
Smoked for 31 years.
Quitting was the hardest thing I've ever done.
I quit several times for 4 to 6 months put would pick up one and that led to another and...........
It's an addiction!

You can not quit till YOU are ready.
YOU have to want to quit.
YOU made the first step by this posting.

Don't ever fool yourself by thinking you can only smoke one or two...
It will lead to 1 to two packs.

I needed help to finally quit. I went to a smoking sensation class that helped me through the rough parts.

Once you are ready just do it.
But this is a lifestyle change ask for help from a friend that you can call on when you are having a tough time.

Make the commitment.

You will fell better.

No truer words said. I too was a smoker for 30 years and the cough was getting to me.
I gave my self an incentive. I bought a kegerator and paid for it through the smokes I would have bought. Paid off that sucker in 5 months and haven't felt the need to have a puff since. I breathe so much better, taste beer and food, and have more energy. I don't smell/reek of smoke and I have a dollar in my pocket.
Any more reasons are not nesessary.
\
GOOD LUCK

ok, so I'm a little concerned........

as of right this second, it's been roughly 28 hours since the last one. Last night, the SWMBO and I went to the local bar to get some late night grub (she was hungry, I ate probably just because I always do) and we had some beers, all was good, as I didn't want or feel to smoke.

Today I go to work, don't smoke all day, still, so far so good, and I've been getting a lot of encouragement from her. Now comes the bad part.....

.....Thursday nights are the weekly 'everyone hang out at Texas Steaks Night.' My boy works the bar, it's open mic, it's pretty sweet actually. Everyone there smokes for the most part, so I went in after work before it got too bad, and I still stink, but I had two beers there. First was a Sam's Summer Ale. It was a new keg, and I thought it tasted like poo. Now I love Summer Ale, one of my all time favorites, but I told my boy that someone else should try it, and see if it was just me. Someone else did, and it's fine :( Then I had a local beer called Copperhead by Fordham (if you are around DC, you may know this, but it will be all over the east coast soon) and the same thing, it tasted like poo! Now I'm upset...everything else I've had to eat and drink tasted fine, why of all of the things I love to consume, why does beer have to taste like crap.

Now, I started smoking before I started drinking beer, and according to the prescription I'm taking, and just the information in general about quitting smoking, my taste will change....but to think beer tastes like crap, someone tell me this will stop...like TOMORROW!

dibby33 said:
Your taste buds have changed due to the lack of poisons on them.
Now is the time to try other types of beers!

great advice! Good idea!

Yeup, get out there and start drinking.

...It is nearly 1pm here (Friday). I am thinking that there should be a practive evacuation of the building at about 4pm. I am one of the fire/wardens and as such I see it as my duty for weekly pub trips, I mean weekly live saving exercises!

Day 4 is coming to a close, day 5 beginning in 6 hours....wooooooo WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

nice, I have found I have been drinking a lot more beer instead. I think I drank over a case this weekend....

98EXL said:
nice, I have found I have been drinking a lot more beer instead. I think I drank over a case this weekend....

I can totally relate, i quit smoking back in December and now when hanging out with friends that do smoke i find myself having another beer whenever they light up. It has been a chalenge though, i have cheated a couple of times, but only when i was drinking. but all in all i think I have done really well. Good on everyone who is trying ot quit.

Cheers

I also have been somewhat of a dick when I'm drinking now....that's no good. That is the #1 thing on my list this week to mentally work on.

Back