Secondaries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I don't want to restart the never ending debate about the pros and cons of using secondaries. I decided to try it.

So the question then is not about whether but when. Specifically, when is the most opportune time to transfer from the primary to the secondary. Do you make the handoff after getting a stable gravity reading?

Thanks

I generally goto secondary after 10 days. Regarding gravity reading it depends on how the fermentation goes. Some are very vigorous which is visible when I look at the carboy. Basically anything above the wort in the carboy is covered in krausen. If I get only a 2-3 inch krausen, I take a reading and sometimes bump it.

Sorry, probably not as scientific as you were looking for.

What about doing like a 2 week primary and a 3 week secondary? or perhaps 3 week primary and 2 week secondary? What would the difference be between the two?

What would the difference be between the two?

You wouldn't know if fermentation is finished...You could generalize it, which is what many people will claim to have "fool proof methods," but you should only use them as guidelines. Your hydrometer will tell the true story. Experience will let you make shortcuts.

if you did 2 week primary, 3 secondary. Your beer would clarify more. To be honest Ive left it in for 3 -4 weeks and didnt know a significant difference. 3-4 weeks was more due to being busy. I find the transfer sometimes stirs things up. So I would go secondary longer. if you leave in primary for 3 weeks, just goto 4 and bottle/keg at that point. I did a Hefe in primary for 4 weeks and went straight to bottle. it worked fine. I thinks it personal preference really. I only have 1 primary/1 secondary. So, I rack more to free up the primary.

Back