Diagnosis Gout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wellshooter

Reaction score
Brewed with a sore foot weekend before last. Next day I went to the doctor. His diagnosis - gout. He listed a few things that should be removed from my diet. Shellfish - no problem, I'm 300 miles from a decent source, Red meat - a little harder, can I cook it till it's black? Beer - OMG BEER !! You can't be serious !! Yep he's serious, especially homebrew, it's the yeast intake, turns into purines, which begets uric acid, and don't forget the alcohol, that's not good either.

Sigh!!

Sorry buddy.

There's a few thread discussing gout and homebrew. You might find some info in them. IIRC this is a pretty good one. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/gout-homebrew-89524/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/got-gout-202129/#post2357326

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/gout-homebrew-89524/

If you google homebrew and gout you get some articles, and if you google beer and gout you get different articles, like this one,

http://arthritis.webmd.com/news/20040415/beer-spirits-increase-gout-risk

I'm no doctor, so I don't know, and I'm not sure how much of the "homebrew causes gout" stuff I believe either, but it's worth you doing some research on your own an/or with the doctor....but don't let him/her be an alarmist to you either, and make you do somethign you prolly don't want to do like stop drinking homebrew....like I said there's a lot of mixed info either way on this topic.

Though a lot of people say cherry juice seems to help them...

Good luck

Never had gout but it runs in the family, my relatives swear by black cherry juice for gout relief, you might try that.:mug:

Edit: I think you drink it as opposed to soaking in it?

Sorry to hear this. Definitely heed the doctor's advice... Perhaps once it's under control you can re-introduce the homebrew later in small doses.

Pay attention to the things you eat and you will figure out what sets it off for you. Some of the things besides alcoholic beverages: spinach, clams, oysters, beans or any legume, fish although they say some are good for you, and red meat. Vegies that are not green are good, its the green ones that can cause trouble. Root vegies are a no no. All said and done when I have an attack its brown rice and corn for me until I get it under control. Good luck and eat some cherries or drink some cherry juice every day to keep it away.

Is it just the yeast itself? A filter is a pretty cheap investment vs. not brewing.

Never had gout but it runs in the family, my relatives swear by black cherry juice for gout relief, you might try that.:mug:

Edit: I think you drink it as opposed to soaking in it?

I second this. I have had some real painful bouts and have taken the medicine that is prescribed-the one where the directions were to take a pill every hour until the pain goes away or you get the $hits and the results happen at the same damn time...

I love red meat, oysters and beer and didn't want to give up any of them.

I tried black cherry extract. The stuff works so well it should be illegal

If I feel a twing in my toe, I take a couple of teaspoons of the juice and it is almost instant relief.

Some people take it about once a week. I only take it when I feel a flare up coming on.

You can get it at GNC and keep it in the fridge. Give it a shot, it works for me.

I feel your pain, literally. You have the "disease of kings and the king of diseases." There are different types of Gout. Chronic, acute and pseudo. The earliest written evidence of the disease goes back to the Pharoahs. Ben Franklin suffered from it, too. I've been on every drug known to curb Gout. The only one that is working is Uloric 80 mg.. Alupurinol didn't help. Indomethacine helps knock down the swelling and pain, but it's tough on the stomach. Uloric, so far has been the best. I haven't had an attack since taking it. I've had Gout in my knees and toes. Sometimes in both legs at the same time. If you don't take care of it, you're looking at joint destruction and kidney failure. A high protien diet will cause flare ups. Stay away from red wine. If you like wine, drink a little white. Spinach and asparugus are on the no eat list, too. Stay away from whiskey, and slow down on beer. If your Dr. puts you on Alupurinol take it every day. If you get off of it you will induce Gout. If the Alupurinol doesn't help, ask him about Uloric. Hope you get well.

I would recommend trying the cherry juice before you get the drugs. I eat pretty much what I want and don't worry about it anymore.

It certainly can't hurt to give it a shot.

I've heard about the cherry juice and went straight to the health food store for the concentrate. I've been drinking 2 oz of concentrated black cherry juice in a bottle of water almost every day. The pain is gone and the swelling has subsided. I just don't want to have a recurrence so have backed off the beer. Beer is my favorite food though so I may be testing my limits again soon.

I'm certainly glad to hear that there is some agreement on the black cherry juice. I find that an easy medicine to swallow.

Thanks for all the info. I will study it. I knew you guys would have some beer specific info on gout, and you did.:mug:

It's probably beneficial as stated above to accomodate you diet by gettin more of and taking out of, but still being able to enjoy beer. If i had gotten this i definatly would do some eating changes and see if that works.
Im not shure where this fits into a gout diet but i do know that fresh pineapple is good for imflamation. Definatly look into it,its free because you need to eat anyway,just more specific things,good luck and let us know. A book called prescription for nutritunal healing probably has a specific food do's and donts to accomodate this.Ive learned a great deal of good-health through this book.Certain vegetables are healers,its medicine and if you get a juicer it can taste like medicine too,but you shure feel good.
If its from the beer yeast, i would skip out on drinking the yeast sediment if your drinking alot of homebrew, but there definatley is a balance when it comes to getting the right amounts of stuff or if your getting too much of something.
Specific food changes should help.

I agree with the cherry extract. In my case it didn't help. I'd rather drink cherry juice than take drugs. I've had chronic Gout for a little over 30 years now, and had to go on medication. The attacks would last a week and come in three to four week intervals. It was debilitating. The pain and the depression from knowing what I was in for was getting to me. The funny part of the whole Gout thing with me, is that I had my first attack after brewing beer. I thought that I re-injured my broken foot while carrying filled carboys. Of course I didn't go to the Dr.. Only after my toe swelled up the size of a golfball and I couldn't stand the pressure of a bed sheet on it, did I go. I do eat red meat and even seafood once in a while, but in moderation. I lost weight, too. If you followed the diet that a person with Gout is supposed to, a rabbit would starve to death. Stay healthy! Because if you don't, you're wives or girlfriends may sell all your equipment or use them for flower pots.

All im sayin a good rule of thumb is fill up your plate raw vegetables as much as possible most of the time,less cooked the easier it is on you less time to cook also.but eat what you want ocassionally and in moderation,its the majority of what you eat that matters really.There are people that live to eat and people that eat to live,when it comes to better health you have a choice.And there is a hell of a good world of tastey healty food too that most cheeto eating people may never know.

I am pretty much a vegetarian and I just got gout, I can only assume from beer. I drink 1-4 pints of beer a day. I eat no shellfish, no red meat, just chicken once a week or so and only cooked vegetables, and fish. (cooking makes things easier to digest, despite what paleo fads say). Another thing they said contributes is bran and lack of dairy. I hate dairy and eat tonnes of bran. Figures. I only drink water and alcohol, no pop or juice or any other drinks.

Pretty bummed out about it as I have been laid up for several days and have no one to blame but myself. I have been drinking like this for years and have just got it now. So I think it comes on the older you get. I am optimistic about trying the cherry juice. My wife did get me lots of cherries and I have been eating them. Perhaps the concentrate will work well for me.

Just wanted to add my two cents. You can think you are eating entirely right and get it. I have a steak on average once every 3 months. Makes me want to switch to homebrew of wine really. Wonder if i could add cherry juice to the brew at the kegging stage to negate these damn purines *sigh*

I am pretty much on a red meat and veggie diet (low carb+beer). I eat everything that they say not to eat, shellfish of all sorts, fatty rich meats and beer and wine, but I usually don't eat processed carbs and sugars.

I only get gout when I fall off the wagon and eat bread and sugars.

In my case, I'm pretty sure that sugars and wheat (things that spike my blood sugar) are what brings it on.

Back