draft beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mh-brews

Reaction score
i have a 6 facuet draft beer system. 5 are for home brew and we have one keg of sam adams boston lager.

sammy is foamy: all other facuets are good. pressure is set to about 10psi. it takes about 8 secs to pour a pint of homebrew(that is correct from info i have read) sammy takes less. i was wondering how many other folks run multiplue regulators when they run homebrew and commerical ?? i have already depressureized the commerical keg and repressurized it. and idea would be great !

Do you have the same diameter hose? Is the line the same length?

You can change the SA pour with a smaller (or longer) diameter hose. This will give you a greater pressure drop.

If that's all you need to do, that would be the easiest/cheapest.

Dave

Invest in a secondary regulator manifold so you can tune each tap. Every beer is gonna require a slightly different pressure in order to be balanced. Length of lines and diameter are ways to fine-tune your pour, but that's the odd way to approach it.

I run a similar system though 4 homebrew and 1 commercial (either Odell or New Belgium). My homebrew lines run 6 feet and my Commercial line is 12. Since I made this switch to a longer line I haven't had any problems whatsoever so that's what I would recommend.

Good luck!

Having just attended the Ray Daniels presentation on serving draft beer at the NHC, I learned much about serving beer from a keg.
The 2 big variables are temperature and gas hose size and length, (he recommends long 3/16 not 1/4). The goal is to pressurize the keg at
about 4 PSI above the internal pressure of the keg. (not to just 4 PSI like we have been led to believe) Since, the temperature of the beer
has everything to do with the internal pressure inside the keg there is big difference between beer served at 33 vs 50 degrees.
It is very interesting that if you fall out of that sweet spot both high or low the results will be the same a overly foamy beer.
I would suggest you look at he presentation when it's posted on the NHC web site.

The real take away is to use long hoses at 10 to 14 PSI, start at 14 as the beer warms up you will need to start decreasing the PSI.

Back