Full Boil & Late Extract Additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForumMember

Reaction score
With 5 batches under my belt, I am in the process of identifying "improvements" to utilize. Obvious choices for extract brewers include full boils & late extract additions. Both have been suggested as ways of combating extract twang. Though I have enjoyed all the batches I've made, there seems to be a common caramel-like sweetness in all except the stout.

I have seen some threads which recommend partial boils when doing late additions, the idea being that one maintains OG so that hop adjustments are not necessary.

Aside from hop adjustments is there any downside to combining full boils with late extract additions? Can brewing software be set up to account for late extract additions?

Thanks in advance!

With 5 batches under my belt, I am in the process of identifying "improvements" to utilize. Obvious choices for extract brewers include full boils & late extract additions. Both have been suggested as ways of combating extract twang. Though I have enjoyed all the batches I've made, there seems to be a common caramel-like sweetness in all except the stout.

I have seen some threads which recommend partial boils when doing late additions, the idea being that one maintains OG so that hop adjustments are not necessary.

Aside from hop adjustments is there any downside to combining full boils with late extract additions? Can brewing software be set up to account for late extract additions?

Thanks in advance!

What final gravities are you getting? All-extract brews can often attenuate less, leaving more residual sweetness. One way to combat this is to balance up with a bit of dextrose or use a higher attenuating yeast and make sure you aerate the wort thoroughly at pitching time.

The reasoning behind adding in some of your extract later is because wort gravity affects hop utilisation/extraction. Generally a wort boil of around 1040 is recommended - once you start to go higher, utilisation suffers and you need more hops. You can use less if you go lower or boil in water but supposedly that can create harsh unwelcome bitterness in the final product. I've never tried it so I'm not sure.

If you make up a boil to 1040 then add in your dried ingredients towards the end just to make sure they dissolve properly you should be good.

Not sure if it will affect 'twang'. I wouldn't describe extract sweetness as twang - stale extract (particularly liquid) seems to be the most likely culprit.

good topic -- I've been using late extract additions for some time with good luck and am hoping to soon begin doing full boils also as soon as I can acquire a larger pot. I'm looking forward to further discussion on this thread.

In brewsmith, you can set any timeframe you want for your extract and it will calculate hop utilization based on that. I did a writeup about converting all grain recipes to partial boil, while using late extra addition to maintain an identical gravity in the boil as the all grain recipe. I can post a link if you're interested. It lets you do a partial boil using a smaller grain bill, but you have the same wort as you would with the original, just a smaller volume.

What final gravities are you getting? All-extract brews can often attenuate less, leaving more residual sweetness. One way to combat this is to balance up with a bit of dextrose or use a higher attenuating yeast and make sure you aerate the wort thoroughly at pitching time.

The reasoning behind adding in some of your extract later is because wort gravity affects hop utilisation/extraction. Generally a wort boil of around 1040 is recommended - once you start to go higher, utilisation suffers and you need more hops. You can use less if you go lower or boil in water but supposedly that can create harsh unwelcome bitterness in the final product. I've never tried it so I'm not sure.

If you make up a boil to 1040 then add in your dried ingredients towards the end just to make sure they dissolve properly you should be good.

Not sure if it will affect 'twang'. I wouldn't describe extract sweetness as twang - stale extract (particularly liquid) seems to be the most likely culprit.

Final gravities have been always been within the range provided with recipes.

I think I understand the hop utilization/wort gravity concept - I will certainly keep this in mind when contemplating higher gravities brew. I believe I have also seen postings that suggest late extract additions a) prevent unwanted darkening of wort, and b) reduce chance of caramelizing the sugars.

Perhaps I have erroneously equated an unwanted caramel-like sweetness with extract twang - It is not a flavor I have noticed with commercial brews, even maltier styles, so I assume it is an unwanted flavor, presumably extract twang. I'll read up on this more.

Thanks for the reply!

In brewsmith, you can set any timeframe you want for your extract and it will calculate hop utilization based on that. I did a writeup about converting all grain recipes to partial boil, while using late extra addition to maintain an identical gravity in the boil as the all grain recipe. I can post a link if you're interested. It lets you do a partial boil using a smaller grain bill, but you have the same wort as you would with the original, just a smaller volume.

Excellent. I will check Beersmith out. Thank You. I would appreciate the link you reference.

Back