isinglass for stouts seems, pointless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CROM

Reaction score
I read somewhere that guiniess uses isinglass to clear it out... but I got to wonder with such a dark black stout goes isinglass really matter?

Im making my first stout right now and have some isinglass left over from my last batch that I was going to add to it, but is it even worth it?

I mean, its dark and black... so....clarifying it will make it dark and black and clearer black somehow?

I agree with your thoughts. Just sit back and relax. (oh, and also don't worry and have a homebrew :D)

I actually had this thought last night, my second brew came out really dark, and I started to worry about chill haze and if I had done enough to clarify the beer, then I thought. . . with such a dark brew who cares?

When clearing a beer you are basically filtering "something" out of it to make it clear. Perhaps Guinness doesn't want any particular flavors that that "something" may give.

There is a very noticeable difference between a cleared stout and one that hasn't been cleared. Filtering/clearing also stabilize the beer's flavor. As far as shades of black, ask any Goth or fashion designer.

To agree with the comments already made, the main reason larger brew companies filter their beer is not for clarity but to remove any little buggers that will affect flavor stability, or, er, drinkability.

Back