AG brewing- Quick Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
I want to make sure I have the general process down:

...So I mash @ 1-1.5 quarts per pound of grain. Let that sit for 60min at 154-158. I vorlaugh (sp?)...pour that back into the mash tun. Once Clear I take my first runnings into my BK.

I then either sparge continually or batch sparge. This is where I get confused. Using Continuous Sparging do I keep running the hot water over my grain bed while draining until I have the desired Boil volumn of 6.5 Gallons in my BK? I seems to make sense to me...I was just always under the impression continuous sparging was hard...

Batch sparging means I would have to calculate the amount of sparge water needed to reach my final boil volumn correct? To me this seems much harder then Continuos sparging?

I prefer fly sparging, which is continuous sparging. It's not hard. My effeciency is better than when I batch sparged. You need a false bottom or a manifold to fly sparge. Don't try it with a braid. The braids cause channeling.

I then either sparge continually or batch sparge. This is where I get confused. Using Continuous Sparging do I keep running the hot water over my grain bed while draining until I have the desired Boil volumn of 6.5 Gallons in my BK? I seems to make sense to me...I was just always under the impression continuous sparging was hard...
It isn't hard. You need something to sprinkle the water so it doesn't disturb the grain bed, and a false bottom or manifold, +1 on don't use a braid, then find a flow rate in and out that maintains the water at about 2 inches above the grain bed (for a 5 gallon batch the process takes 25-40 minutes) As far as how much to use, you will learn your equipment, better to sparge too much and boil down, than not enough.

There are a bunch of really good posts on sparging just do a search.

I should have added that it's an easy calculation for batch sparging to figure out the sparge volume. After the first runnings you simply add the difference between first runnings and boil volume.

I should have added that it's an easy calculation for batch sparging to figure out the sparge volume. After the first runnings you simply add the difference between first runnings and boil volume.

because you won't lose any water to the grains since they are soaked already correct?

Man I'm getting pumped!

I'm probably going to build the Mash tun with a Manifold. I have tons of PVC pipe laying around the house from jobs my dad finished. even some rigid steel pipe....might be better for it.

Correct. As for PVC, don't use it. Use CPVC. It's chlorinated for hot eater and safe to use as a manifold. You don't want any chemicals from PVC leaching into the wort.

well I'm going sparge method... I was originally hoping to have a pump for Christmas but I don't think that is happening anymore.

Back