55 Gallon Ordinary Steel Drum System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I was worried about a few rust spots in my old keggle which I just retired.

Edit: if OP were near I’d just give him my old keggles because I’m that concerned ... others, please don’t pm me unless you have a serious rust problem.

You're right. I concede that it's a great idea now that I see the pictures of the still in use rusty barrels and the fact that he is still alive to post. :rolleyes: If only all ideas could be measured in terms of whether it kills you in year or not.

Any chance the OP is screwing with us?!

I hate to say this but Ive brewed in a steal barrel before, 30 years ago on the farm, we burned the barrel twice washed it out mashed and boiled in it on a fire pit with a whole bag of grain and it tasted great and when I say 30 years ago this is how we made moonshine back then too so nobody died or got sick but again I wouldn't do it today

I hate to say this but Ive brewed in a steal barrel before, 30 years ago on the farm, we burned the barrel twice washed it out mashed and boiled in it on a fire pit with a whole bag of grain and it tasted great and when I say 30 years ago this is how we made moonshine back then too so nobody died or got sick but again I wouldn't do it today
Yeah but, ozarks. The rest of us have a future to consider.

This has got to be one of the more entertaining threads I have read on here. Props to @Jayjay1976 for digging it up. I like it how to OP is calling everyone "forum rats who don't have any experience...." who have not brewed in rusty barrels, pots, oil pans, etc.

I mean I can cook my eggs in the morning on the engine block of my truck, but why? I'd rather spring for a pan and some sort of cooking top. I guess I am an elitist.

I cannot figure out if this is actually real or someone trolling.

This has been interesting reading. Having seen how quickly water changes color when put in a rusty bucket, I expect brewing anything lighter than an amber ale might be difficult. I also wonder if rust, which is oxidized iron, would contribute to hot-side aeration. Not being a chemist, I have no idea if this would be the case or if it might be that the exposed iron molecules would actually draw oxygen out of the wort. Probably would do nothing at all but when I'm bored I tend to over-think things.
Anyway, whether a troll or not, it was enjoyable reading.

I think I remember reading that iron in wort can lead to blood flavor.
I do remember that a lot of blood drying smells like iron, and other things.
So, add neither iron nor blood to your wort, unless it's a new fad.

Do you reckon the OP is thinking about being a cooper to make barrels to age his beer from his old back porch?

Back