Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb6923

Reaction score
OK, so I'm pretty proud of my brewing for the most part. I've only been at it for 6 months or so. My brews are pretty darn tasty too, but I have an issue. I know that people have talked about beer clarity in other threads, but usually its like about whirlpooling or cold break material... I was hoping to get a synthesis response from the people who are truly "in the know". It hasn't been a big deal to me that my brews have been hazy, but I'm sorta OCD like that and want something that looks pretty, haha.

It wasn't very clear so I'd like to add that I am looking for a list of, start to finish, everything I can do for a clear beer.

In the boil: whirlfloc
In primary or secondary: gelatin
Whirlpooling and all that: doesn't really help much in my experience

For the gelatin, use between 1 tsp and 1 tbsp in a 5 gallon batch. Bloom it by placing in a little cool water for 15 minutes, then heat the solution to about 180F or so (don't boil!). Then chuck into primary or secondary a couple of days before bottling. The last batch I did this with turned out to be the clearest beer I've made yet.

I agree completely with rocketman. I usually end up with clear beer after whirlfloc. If that doesn't work, gelatin in the keg and a few days in the keezer turn out a brilliantly clear beer.

I use whirlfloc or Irish moss and time. Personally I think time is the biggest factor since I've made plenty of crystal clear beers without adding any clearing agent.

Your choice of yeast will also determine how much a beer will naturally clear.
Whirlfloc has done wonders for my beers

+1 for time. I had a really hazy beer when it was young. I forgot about a few bottles that sat in the fridge for a couple months. Couldn't even tell it was the same beer from looking at it. It was crystal clear.

Watter has something to do with it, especially with all grain. Out of balance watter can extract more protein.

With all things brewing I think it's all about time and temperature. Proper use of temperature can minimize time.

I've made clear beers with out Irish moss and cloudy ones with it. I have my process down so well now that all of my beers are clear and I've never used finings.

Has anyone ever tried putting their secondary into a refrigerator at 40-45 degrees for a few days at the end to get the yeast to fall to the bottom? I'm debating this technique.

That will work. I use this mini fridge that goes down to 31F. It's my crasher. I leave green beer in there for at least a week before I bottle.

crasher.jpg

I ferment in this chest freezer (Dunkel Weiss and a IPA are going there now.)

fermenters.jpg

This is my beer fridge and I have a lager in it too.

beer_lagerer.jpg

Temp control is the most important thing in brewing.

I noticed my clarity improved when using more flocculent yeast strains. S-04 is a great yeast and produces a nice clear beer in a short amount of time.

Low calcium levels in the water can lead to poor flocculation. I've only done about 6 batches since I started actively tweaking my water chemistry but every one of them has cleared up very nicely.

Irish moss/whirfloc in the boil, then a 3-4 week primary before racking to secondary for a week has given me crystal clear beers.

I think it is important to note that beer clarity is very subjective. Even pictures can be deceiving. Unless you see someones beer in person, you don't know what level of clarity they are achieving.

This doesn't negate any of the advice, but its important not to create unrealistic expectations because of different definitions of "clarity". Otherwise you could drive yourself crazy.

Wouldnt racking it several times help to clear it without adding anything? I had heard in several post how this "clears" the beer. Would one be able to do this several times and get the same result?

Irish moss/whirfloc in the boil, then a 3-4 week primary before racking to secondary for a week has given me crystal clear beers.

You never get any chill haze?

My beer clears at room temp. within a week, but I always have chill haze for the first 5-10 days at 35 F.

That will work. I use this mini fridge that goes down to 31F. It's my crasher. I leave green beer in there for at least a week before I bottle.

crasher.jpg

I ferment in this chest freezer (Dunkel Weiss and a IPA are going there now.)

fermenters.jpg

This is my beer fridge and I have a lager in it too.

beer_lagerer.jpg

Temp control is the most important thing in brewing.

Dude is that Bud Light Golden Wheat in your lager fridge? GASP! :p

Wife's diet, I never make 110 calorie beers. It's almost a good wit. It just needs some more malt flavor. There is even yeast sediment in the bottle and it's absolutely not clear.

You never get any chill haze?

My beer clears at room temp. within a week, but I always have chill haze for the first 5-10 days at 35 F.

I've never seen any chill haze in my beer, though I don't serve anything that cold. My beer fridge is generally set to upper 30's for storage purposes.

I have a nut brown that came out very cloudy, almost murky!
Would more and better recirculating / vorlouting be the solution, or is there something I can put in my secondary to take care of it?

I have a nut brown that came out very cloudy, almost murky!
Would more and better recirculating / vorlouting be the solution, or is there something I can put in my secondary to take care of it?

Look at the 3rd post on this thread from rocketman. I've heard of many people doing the gelatin technique and having great results. Wouldn't hurt to try!

no one mentioned cooling the wort as fast as possible to encourage a good cold break. Gelitin works wonders as well. I pressure can priming sugar solution for bottling so when I go to bottle I open a jar up, pour half in a sanitized measuring cup to bloom a pack of knox gelitin. I then put other half in the microwave for 1 min then pour into gelitin and mix. I then put the whole thing in microwave for one or two 20 second bursts. Taking it out each time to stir and when it is disolved its ready for the bottling bucket.

So when you add the gelatin, do you have to chill the beer then or leave it at room temp?

So when you add the gelatin, do you have to chill the beer then or leave it at room temp?

When I use at bottling i leave beer at room temp for 3 weeks to carb then chill. Keg I add to keg and immediatly chill. both works remaribly well. the cold just helps the gelitin solidfy on the bottom of the containers. SO with my bottles which I store at celler temps mid 50's after carbing. I ensure that they are chilled for at least 48 hrs prior to consumption.

.5 a whirlfloc tab per 5 gallons with 15 mins left in the boil. I have been doing this for three brews now after reading up on it and my bear is crystal clear.

Back